FORUMS: list search recent posts

Running Final Cut Studio 3 on my new Imac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CHristopher Eric Outridge
Running Final Cut Studio 3 on my new Imac
on Mar 8, 2017 at 10:56:28 am

Hello everyone. I am looking to make the jump to buying the brand new IMAC 27inch with the 5k Retina display to replace my original IMAC that I purchased back in 2009. I am pretty set on a machine, but have a few questions to be budget conscious.

Let me start off by saying that I am still running Final Cut Studio 3 and have not upgraded to FCPX. I don't really intend to get FCPX as I am very pleased with Studio 3. The only draw back is that I lost Motion when I upgraded to the Sierra OS

RAM vs GRAPHICS CARD....
should I stay with 16 Gigs of RAM or should I invest in the 32 gigs?
Should I get the AMD RADEON R9 M395 with 2 gigs of video memory or invest in the M395X with 4 gigs of memory?
If I can only have one or the other, which should I invest the most money in? Graphics card or RAM?

LastLuis anyone else running Final Cut Studio 3 on the 5k Retina display 27inch IMAC and can tell me how the program performs?

I will be investing in the 4 htrx Intel Quad Core Turbo Boost Processor and 2 to fusion drive.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Running Final Cut Studio 3 on my new Imac
on Mar 8, 2017 at 6:38:34 pm

[CHristopher Eric Outridge] "The only draw back is that I lost Motion when I upgraded to the Sierra OS"

That and Compressor and Cinema Tools and Color all died at 10.9.5. BUT...Apple does sell updated stand alone versions of Motion and Compressor. You just can't SEND TO anymore. Note that FCP 7 might not be fully functional either. The last OS that supported it officially was 10.6.8. Every step you go from that means the more likely it will not work fully. This is true of ANY software that old.

[CHristopher Eric Outridge] "should I stay with 16 Gigs of RAM or should I invest in the 32 gigs? "

FCP 7 only uses 4GB. Period. So the only reason to get more would be to run multiple apps, or for the apps that love to gobble RAM (Photoshop).

[CHristopher Eric Outridge] "Should I get the AMD RADEON R9 M395 with 2 gigs of video memory or invest in the M395X with 4 gigs of memory?"

FCP 7 doesn't leverage GPU at all. So neither one will matter. Other apps do...so get the one that best works with other apps that you might use.

[CHristopher Eric Outridge] "If I can only have one or the other, which should I invest the most money in? Graphics card or RAM?"

RAM.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

on Mar 8, 2017 at 6:55:31 pm

Thank you for your reply!! Very helpful information.

Just to clarify, whether I get 8, 16 or 32, it really doesn't matter because FCP7 only uses 4.

Also, I want to invest in the 4Ghz Quad Intel Core I7 Turbo boost processor, but would it matter if a got the 3.2 GHZ Quad-core Intel Core I5?

Return to posts index

on Mar 8, 2017 at 6:59:14 pm

One more question....can I have Final Cut Studio 3 and FCPX on the same machine?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 8, 2017 at 9:00:48 pm

[CHristopher Eric Outridge] "Just to clarify, whether I get 8, 16 or 32, it really doesn't matter because FCP7 only uses 4. "

Well, the OS might use 4 or more...so 8 would be under powered. 16GB anymore is a bare minimum... 32 if you plan on using any other apps at the same time, or are looking to use current edit software like FCX or Premiere or Avid

[CHristopher Eric Outridge] "Also, I want to invest in the 4Ghz Quad Intel Core I7 Turbo boost processor, but would it matter if a got the 3.2 GHZ Quad-core Intel Core I5?"

i7 is better. Again, look to the future...the longevity of the computer. Both are fine with this 8 year old application, but look to what you'll do in the future...and how long you want this computer. Get the best you can afford, always.

Although really, all of this is moot when it comes to FCP 7. All of the considerations on what to get depend on what software you would like to use in the future.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Mar 10, 2017 at 2:28:31 am

I kept my MPB 2012 with OS 10.8.5 to keep running FCP7. Now I'm keeping it to run Pr CC 7.2.2 "2013," which is 5 years old. I'm working on a film project that dates to 2008. I date to 1947 and am still working mostly fully. Steenbeck flatbed film editing machines had a good 25-year life cycle. These computer and software update cycles seem a little ephemeral to me but one has to pay attention.
Cheers,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Mar 10, 2017 at 10:59:22 pm

What am I missing here? I thought that you couldn't even load FCS 3 on a new iMac running El Capitan or Sierra. Am I wrong?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 11, 2017 at 12:10:55 am

FCP 6 won't install. FCP 7 CAN install...sometimes you need to run a small hack to do so. But then there are those who install the OS over the existing one.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]