FORUMS: list search recent posts

Davinci Resolve XML importing back to FCP 7 hangs at 66%

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Wilson
Davinci Resolve XML importing back to FCP 7 hangs at 66%
on Mar 8, 2017 at 12:27:43 am

Hi,

I hope someone has found a solution to this. I'm in FCP 7 and exported a version 5 XML. I took that into Davinci Resolve and graded. I then exported an XML out of Resolve. When trying to import that XML back into my FCP 7 project, it hangs at 66%. It slides up to 66% real quick, then just freezes. Won't let me cancel, etc. Anyone have any ideas what the problem and solution may be?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Davinci Resolve XML importing back to FCP 7 hangs at 66%
on Mar 8, 2017 at 3:17:21 am

This my be a question for the Blackmagic folks. I can only recommend you export out of Resolve.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Mar 8, 2017 at 5:28:57 am

Hey Dave,

Yeah, I was hoping I could do workflow just like that, exporting out of Resolve, but my audio is coming in messed up on Resolve Timeline (volume too high on some clips, too low on others). I'll send Blackmagic support an email.

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 8, 2017 at 5:00:22 am

What version of Resolve? 12.5 has the specific FCP 7 export option. Try that?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Mar 8, 2017 at 5:38:16 am

Hey Shane,

Yeah, I'm on Resolve 12.5. On the Render page, I tried to select FCP7 in the Render window that has options like "Custom", "Vimeo", "YouTube", "Final Cut Pro 7", "Premiere Pro XML", etc., and the .xml file produced wouldn't import into FCP 7. I also went to the Edit page, and selected File>Export XML>XML and the .xml file produced wouldn't import into FCP 7. I'm assuming the choices for .fcpxml is for use with FCP X and not FCP 7?

Anyways, luckily what I'm doing now can be manually done, as Davinci is exporting my color graded clips out in .mov files that are ProRes422. So I'll manually replace them into the FCP 7 timeline. It's only 52 clips. But for my larger project, I'm now officially convinced, and will be switching over to FCP X, and transferring whole project to FCP X. Looking forward to the efficiencies and speed in editing with X!

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 8, 2017 at 7:26:06 am

Hmm. Well, sorry about that.

I'm doing a lot of FCX finishing in Resolve lately. I stick to finishing in Resolve...not sending back to FCX. No point.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Mar 8, 2017 at 9:05:08 am

Yeah, you and Dave are right - finish in Resolve. Switching to FCP X - I shoulda listened to you a month ago when you questioned why use FCP 7. Lol.

Return to posts index

Philip Howe
on Mar 8, 2017 at 11:27:31 am

Hi Guys, I'm always a bit sorry when someone moves on to FCX. I still have a course in editing with a "cash strapped" Uni that has asked me not to upgrade, to stay with FCP as they haven't money to upgrade Licenses or Hardware.
I keep a laptop running vers. 7 for them.
Each time I capture and build their footage I'm reminded of just how nice it is to use.
I'm sure there is some simple default that's been changed by a related OSX Upgrade or a "misunderstanding 'tween XML versions that's at the root of this problem.
Best wishes,

philip

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 14, 2017 at 2:39:47 pm

[Philip Howe] "I keep a laptop running vers. 7 for them. "

It's likely your XML woes are caused by an OS mismatch. The last one to run perfectly with FCP 7 was 10.6.8. The newer the OS, the more abundant the problems.

Not to mention it's a 7-year-old XML you're making.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Mar 15, 2017 at 12:35:28 am

Yep I think you're right. I'm now on FCP X.

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]