FORUMS: list search recent posts

What Panasonic camera files compatible with FC7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Carrier
What Panasonic camera files compatible with FC7?
on Feb 27, 2017 at 8:34:40 pm

I love my Panasonic DVX100B but it's time to upgrade to HD using SD cards. The HMC150 looks and feels familiar, but the AVCHD files sound like a hassle. Any recommendations? I'd like an older model that I can get used/reconditioned for under $2,000. thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: What Panasonic camera files compatible with FC7?
on Feb 27, 2017 at 9:41:40 pm

Given that FCP 7 was "end of lifed" seven years ago, you're not going to find a boatload of Pany cameras with the option of acquiring camera files that are editable natively without transcoding. So, your best best is most likely a Pany DVX200.

That being said, why don't you at least try DaVinci Resolve, which is FREE. It is very FCPlike, can be toggled to use FCP keyboard commands, and is one of the most compatible NLEs with all modern cameras and file types, thus allowing you to acquire a modern camera, many of which can be had for $2000 or less. As an example, I have a Sony PVM X70, which is under $2K at B&H.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Jim Carrier
on Feb 28, 2017 at 2:12:43 am

Thanks. What if I upgrade to FCproX, and stick with the Apple product? Camera options improve?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 28, 2017 at 2:17:25 am

Yes, but you'll have a tougher time learning X than the editing with Resolve, or Adobe Premiere for that matter, which is also more like FCP 7 than X.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 28, 2017 at 9:05:12 am

well, not necessarily.

if you're mainly a shooter and only a casual user of FCP7, the the new FCP may well be even easier for you to use once you get over the fact that it's different.
it's folks who are wedded to a particular way of working who have the hardest time migrating.

nick

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 1, 2017 at 4:21:18 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 1, 2017 at 4:57:53 pm

[Jim Carrier] "What if I upgrade to FCproX, and stick with the Apple product? Camera options improve?"

Tell you what: open up iMovie on your Mac. See what you think of it. iMove works like FCPX. If you don't like it, you won't like FCPX.

Here's another option -- a track-based (like legacy FCP), darned good, up-to-date and FREE video editing application -- DaVinci Resolve. Yeah, people use it primarily for color correction, but you can also do some VERY nice editing with it.
Just click on one of the many Blackmagic ads on the COW and you'll find it.

If you're not obsessed with having the latest & greatest camera in the world, I like the Panny HVX 200. It shoots HD recorded anamorphically in the DVCProHD codec, XLR audio connectors with Line/Mic switches, a pricey refurbished one is STILL cheap and it records to P2 cards. Nice camera. Nice recording medium. Nice codec.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]