FORUMS: list search recent posts

previously rendered sections of timeline going off render

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
previously rendered sections of timeline going off render
on Feb 18, 2017 at 4:27:34 pm

OK all my footage is in apple prores 422 with frame rate and size all conforming to the sequence.
Hence, I've been woking on this project and it has been going very smoothly, no hangups.

However, i'm been noticing something now, that wasn't happening before:
As i re-edit clips and re-render them, other clips in other parts of the timeline all of a sudden start showing the red render bar over them even though they were already rendered before and i didn't do anything to alter them. So it seems sometimes as i edit some clips, it is causing other portions of the timeline to go off render. This wasn't happening before.

i don't know what the case of this is. one possible explanation is that I've been doing a lot of very minute editing, oftentimes splitting clips into individual frames and applying filters and keyframes and motion tab edits. And so the same clips i keep e-rendering as i keep re-editing them. I assume that FCP7 is a smart editor and that this shouldn't cause fragmentation or any kind of mess internally for the FCP engine if i am doing a lot of editing. After all, it just creates new render files and references those new files, so no mater how much more editing and filters i apply, it should not bog down the system at all. So, i'm not sure what's going on, why other portions of the timeline are going off render.
Any explanations?
BTW, other than the fact that i need to keep re-rendering unaltered sections of the timeline, the editing process is still going smoothly

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: previously rendered sections of timeline going off render
on Feb 18, 2017 at 6:01:16 pm

If your sequence settings matched your footage properly you should hardly ever see red render bars. I suspect you may have a mismatch. For the record, once you set your seq settings and begin editing, many of the settings in seq settings cannot be changed, and even though they may appear to be changed in the seq settings dialoge, they are not.

So, try opening a new seq... set the seq settings properly however you like, then copy and paste your clips from the earlier timeline.

In addition, you might try opening the render manager and deleting all renders - then render all...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Feb 18, 2017 at 6:30:36 pm

Thx for your input David. However, i know for a fact that all my footage conforms to the sequence settings. i transcoded everything properly and my sequence settings are all good. And when i drop my clips into the timeline, they never need rendering. Only after applying filters and other edits of course, do they need rendering.

My issue is this:
When i apply filters to a section of the timeline, it somehow throws unrelated clips in other sections of the timeline off render, and then i need to re-render those timeline clips even though i didn't re-edit them in any fashion. So wondering why this is happening.

Also, please take note, i've been working on this project for about 2 month now, this is a new issue, this wasn't happening before. That's why i'm wondering if the FCP engine can't handle so much editing and re-applying of filters and keyframes etc. But then again, i don't see why it shouldn't be able to handle it. After all, as long as i keep re-rendering after my edits, then FCP shouldn't have to work that hard to play back clips in the timeline .

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 18, 2017 at 6:49:13 pm

Did you take my tip and delete all renders using the Render Manager?

And, for good measure, trash your preferences...

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 19, 2017 at 11:50:34 am

although trash your prefs first,
that would be less painful if it works ☺

nick

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 19, 2017 at 11:51:18 am

and upgrade to 7.03 if you haven't already,
i seem to remember issues with disappearing refer files in 7.0

nick

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Feb 19, 2017 at 6:04:27 pm

Thanks for that tip, however i'm afraid to upgrade to 7.03 from 7. You see, everything else (besides the re-rendering) is working perfectly fine with FCP and i don't want to take chances of messing it up if i update. The reason being that i am actually working on the Yosemite OS! So have been fortunate that FCP 7 is running fine on Yosemite.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 19, 2017 at 6:33:10 pm

Nick is absolutely correct, 7.0 was crap the day it was released. If you don't update to 7.03 there is really no reason to ask questions here, because no one will be able to help you with the issues you're having. If you're afraid to upgrade just clone your system drive to a FireWire or USB hard drive before doing the update using Carbon Copy Cloner. It's free!!!

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 19, 2017 at 8:34:16 pm

7.0.3 is solid. And yes, it works fine on Yosemite. I have it on Yosemite. What DOESN'T work on Yosemite is Compressor and Motion.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Feb 22, 2017 at 4:33:20 am

Thanx Everyone!

SHane,
I use Compressor on Yosemite and have had no problem whatsoever with it.
When upgrading to 7.03, does it end up updating Compressor as well?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]