FORUMS: list search recent posts

need "quick navigation" tip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
need "quick navigation" tip
on Feb 18, 2017 at 4:12:03 pm

Hi,

OK, so i'm editing a section of my FCP timeline and i need to go to another section of the timeline to copy a clip and bring it back to previous section. It's always a pain for me, because i have to find where i was on the timeline everytime. I suppose i could drop a marker on the timeline section i'm working on so it's easy to return to that very spot, however, then i'll just be dropping markers everywhere and may still be not as quick to navigate back to the proper marker. Is there a quick easy way to navigate the timeline where when i goto another section i can return back to section i was at before without having to keep scrolling and finding where i was?

I'm unable to find the answer to this question by googling it, and i'm sure editors on this forum must be experiencing this very same issue. looking forward to any tips!
thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: need "quick navigation" tip
on Feb 18, 2017 at 5:49:07 pm

Don't be so quick to reject the marker solution, cuz tgat really is the best solution. The ability to right-click to see a list of labeled markers, which you can jump to with a click is one of the great benefits of non-linear editing.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: need "quick navigation" tip
on Feb 19, 2017 at 11:48:26 am

yeah, markers.

you know you can delete a marker?
park on it, and command tilde (from memory)
if you make this marker a specific colour it would make it simpler to pick put of f field of other markers

otherwise:
hit tab to jump to the current TC field in the timeline,
copy
find the seg you need to move, make in/out, cut,
tab again to go the TC field,
paste, and tab again (enter is the obvious choice here, but can often take you to the correct spot, and then open whatever clip is there into the viewer, so kind of annoying)

idea #3
park on your return point,
match frame the clip there into the viewer
go to your seg, in/out, cut.
hit home to go to the start of the timeline,
Q to jump to the viewer,
f to match back to your return point

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]