FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Space Confusion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Wilson
Color Space Confusion
on Feb 15, 2017 at 8:07:22 am

Hi,

I have a bit of confusion on issue of color space. Editing film shot with clips that are Rec 709 AVCHD, converted to ProRes 422. Edit is in FCP 7, and color to be done in Resolve. I need output/export for web, broadcast, DVD/Blu-Ray, and cinema big screen DCP.

So am I correct that for web, broadcast, & DVD/Blu-Ray that I should calibrate my monitor to Rec. 709 and export Rec. 709? Also, in FCP 7, am I supposed to be setting project or sequence settings to Rec. 709?

And for version being used for DCP later, do I just recalibrate the monitor for DCI-P3, XML to resolve, set Resolve for input setting of Rec. 709, timeline setting of DCI-P3, and export DCI-P3?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Color Space Confusion
on Feb 15, 2017 at 7:37:13 pm

[Matt Wilson] "So am I correct that for web, broadcast, & DVD/Blu-Ray that I should calibrate my monitor to Rec. 709 and export Rec. 709? "

Yes. But an EXTERNAL VIDEO MONITOR...not your computer screen. Even if you balance your computer display to Rec 709, it won't be accurate, because the FCP interface...the PREVIEW and PROGRAM monitors aren't accurate. And the viewer in Resolve is also not accurate. They aren't designed to be. They are there to show you what you are doing. For color accuracy you need to get a video IO device and send the signal out to an HDTV or calibrated broadcast monitor. If you plan on using Resolve, you need to get one from Blackmagic Design (the company that makes Resolve). And no, another computer display won't do. The signal sent to those displays typically aren't REC709 compatible.

[Matt Wilson] "in FCP 7, am I supposed to be setting project or sequence settings to Rec. 709?"

ProREs sequence settings, by default, are Rec709...unless you manually change them to RGB. So if you leave them be, you are good.

[Matt Wilson] "And for version being used for DCP later, do I just recalibrate the monitor for DCI-P3, XML to resolve, set Resolve for input setting of Rec. 709, timeline setting of DCI-P3, and export DCI-P3?"

I can't answer this, having not done it. But I can say that again, you can't use your computer display for this. You'll need a broadcast monitor capable of this setting.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Feb 15, 2017 at 7:53:25 pm

Ok - cool. My sequence settings are at "Render 10-bit material in high-precision YUV". So, is this Rec. 709?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 15, 2017 at 11:41:07 pm

yup, thats it

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson