FORUMS: list search recent posts

Roundtripping to Resolve Smooth with FCP 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Wilson
Roundtripping to Resolve Smooth with FCP 7?
on Feb 14, 2017 at 4:54:08 am

Hi,

Working on a feature in FCP 7. Want to grade in Resolve and wanted to get a feel for how people are experiencing the roundtripping to Davinci Resolve and back to FCP 7. Is it a pretty smooth process? Looks like export with version 5 XML is way to go? Any other tips on choices, things to avoid etc?

Oh yeah, how to do things like cross dissolves work with the roundtripping and grading process? Can I simply edit with my transitions, do an XML, open it in Resolve and be okay with gradding and exporting out XML to bring back into to FCP 7?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Roundtripping to Resolve Smooth with FCP 7?
on Feb 14, 2017 at 8:26:45 am

I've done it, and it's VERY smooth. As smooth as FCP to Color, only better as you can play back in real time in Resolve...WITH AUDIO. Big difference. And yes, render out individual clips and XML so that it links back in FCP 7. I've done it twice.

[Matt Wilson] "Any other tips on choices, things to avoid etc? "

Any effects other than dissolves and wipes to color won't transition over to Resolve...and unlike Color, that adds them back when it goes back, I had issue with them going back. So I had to reapply them. Well, dissolves and dips to color worked, but special transitions I needed to re-add.

Also, any stills you have in the sequence need to be rendered out and made into a media file. Stills don't transfer and link properly.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Feb 14, 2017 at 8:54:46 am

Very cool - will test out this week. I also heard the the crop zoom/scaling is better in Resolve than FCP 7. I'm working in 1080P footage and have a few clips that will need to be crop zoom/scaled. Have you any experience with Resolve vs FCP 7 for this?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 14, 2017 at 9:06:09 am

Scaling is far superior in Resolve, but still try not to go TOO far. Also, I'm not sure if that scaling will render out baked into the clip, or if it'll send the scaling parameters back to FCP. If you render it out as a single clip, of course it'll bake it in, it'll be one solid QT file. Bears testing.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Feb 14, 2017 at 5:52:48 pm

Cool will do some test runs to check if scaling parameters are sent back to FCP 7.

I'm calibrating my monitor with xRite i1 Display Pro. They have presets for Rec 709, DCI-P3, Rec 2020. Am I supposed to select the color space that corresponds to the final user's/viewer's screen? So I would guess I should have my screen calibrated to Rec 709 for most everything such as web delivery, DVD, BluRay, and TV/Broadcast...and for any film festival cinema projection I would use the DCI-P3 preset calibration, and review and regrade footage to look good in that color space?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 14, 2017 at 9:53:35 pm

[Matt Wilson] "I'm calibrating my monitor with xRite i1 Display Pro. They have presets for Rec 709, DCI-P3, Rec 2020."

Which monitor? Your computer display? The one you use to see what you are doing in FCP and Resolve? Sorry, even if you do that, it won't be color accurate. The interface in both FCP and Resolve isn't color accurate...they aren't designed to be. They are reference to see what you are doing. For proper color correction, especially in Resolve, you need a Blackmagic Design IO device (Decklink, ultrastudio) and external HDTV or broadcast monitor. A computer display won't do. Sorry.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Feb 14, 2017 at 10:05:19 pm

Lol - should've included what monitor Im using. I have a late 2015 MacBook Pro with Retina screen 2880x1800. How accurate would I be with this screen once I calibrate with xRite i1 Display Pro?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 14, 2017 at 10:07:55 pm

[Matt Wilson] "How accurate would I be with this screen once I calibrate with xRite i1 Display Pro?"

Not. As I stated, even if you calibrate your computer display, the Resolve and FCP interface...the viewers in those apps, ARE NOT accurate. They aren't designed to be. For accurate results, you will need a Blackmagic Design Ultrastudio IO device and external HDTV (decent one) or broadcast monitor.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Feb 14, 2017 at 11:31:04 pm

Great advice Shane - thanks!
-Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]