FORUMS: list search recent posts

DJI Phantom 3 Standard footage in Final Cut Pro 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Smith
DJI Phantom 3 Standard footage in Final Cut Pro 7
on Feb 8, 2017 at 5:03:15 pm

I have ingested my DJI phantom 3 Standard shots of buildings into Final Cut Pro 7 after converting from H264 to Pro Res
There is serious flicker- like serated edges on all lines which shimmer as the subject moves through
the frame . I've tried video filters and it remains . I've heard that there might be some Codec issues
has anyone had the same experience ? It's driving me mad !
Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: DJI Phantom 3 Standard footage in Final Cut Pro 7
on Feb 9, 2017 at 4:25:25 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 9, 2017 at 4:29:20 pm

What's the timeline's frame rate, and the original footage's frame rate before transcoding? Is there a possibility that it was originally interlaced?

This sounds suspiciously like a frame rate mismatch or a progressive-interlaced issue.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Derek Smith
on Feb 9, 2017 at 9:26:22 pm

I think you're right .
The original was I believe 1080 x1920 at 25p

However every time I converted from H264 to Pro Res I got an Upper Field frame result and my sequence settings in my FCP timeline were None in field dominance , so I think this is why I've had the problem.

I converted the footage to XDCAM and this works without any of this terrible interference , although the definition seems lower than Pro Res 422 HQ.
I also tried dropping the Pro Res footage in an Upper Field setting timeline and it seems to work OK. but all my other material in the film is different so I can't proceed .

DJI just told me that the Phantom 3 Standard is not compatible with Pro Res . I might just carry on with XDCam .

Derek

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 9, 2017 at 10:56:28 pm

[Derek Smith] "The original was I believe 1080 x1920 at 25p

However every time I converted from H264 to Pro Res I got an Upper Field frame result and my sequence settings in my FCP timeline were None in field dominance , so I think this is why I've had the problem."

I'm trying to figure out why you were forced into transcoding to interlaced footage. You should be able to override it to make it progressive. What are you using?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Derek Smith
on Feb 9, 2017 at 11:59:29 pm

Thanks , I've tried converting to progressive using Compressor but it won't allow me to change the field - it keeps coming out upper field. I've also got Aiseesoft and iSkysoft both I've found difficult to use even though they cost a fortune!
neither allow me to control the field.
Maybe this is the compatibility problem of
the Phantom 3 codec .

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 10, 2017 at 12:49:32 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 10, 2017 at 12:54:05 am

I had no idea a Phantom would have its own codec. Just a thought -- have you checked with camera maker about transcoding?

I'll assume you're fairly well-versed in using compressor, so we can eliminate it as a transcoding choice.

Would you happen to have Adobe Media Encoder on your machine? That's one I KNOW can be forced into progressive transcodes. But to access ProRes codecs, it has to be on your machine.

If that doesn't work, I'm out of suggestions.

I doubt you want to spend $1200 FOR Telestream's software. I forget the name, but it does just about any kind of transcoding available on the planet.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Derek Smith
on Feb 10, 2017 at 10:16:10 am

Thanks for your work on this , much appreciated . It's worth knowing about all these options, I only have Apple on my Mac so no Adobe Media Encoder sadly. At least I do have something I can work with,
but I wish manufacturers would let us know about these things before we spend our money !

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Feb 10, 2017 at 11:39:49 am

I believe the DJI camera uses the Gopro chip so assume it records in the same format. For GoPro footage I use Mpeg streamclip, (free), to transcode. With Mpeg streamclip, drop a clip onto the window then choose convert to Quicktime. In the conversion options window which will now be open, choose, from the top, the codec you wish to use, I choose Proress 422HQ. Set the qualitity slider to full. There are lot's of settings in there but all are ok as-is, except on the right where there is a button "deselect for progressive material". Uncheck that and press go at the bottom. The resulting transcoded clip should be pristine.

http://www.squared5.com/

Return to posts index

Derek Smith
on Feb 10, 2017 at 12:41:39 pm

Thanks Roger this worked . I'd tried my MPEG Streamclip earlier but I did the opposite of what you suggested and ticked all the boxes thinking the interlacing problem might disappear ! Unchecked I get as you describe a good result.
I've spent money on not very reliable converters recently and I still think the free MPEG Streamclip does a brilliant job.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Feb 10, 2017 at 2:39:43 pm

Good news Derek.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]