FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crashing due to adding 2nd sequence or file size increasing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Wilson
Crashing due to adding 2nd sequence or file size increasing?
on Jan 28, 2017 at 6:34:36 am

Hi,

Am working on 2 hr film project with file size of 92 MB. I made a copy of the project to use to cut a 1-2 minute trailer for the film. In the new copied project, I opened up a 2nd sequence and started copying and pasting clips to that 2nd sequence. Also imported some music AIFF files. All was cool for awhile, then it crashed, and everytime I tried to start again, it would load properly and I could play what I was editing, but if I tapped the left arrow multiple times to move back to the front of the timeline, FCP 7 crashes on me. I also noticed the audio waveforms being partially gray and partially white, where they are normally all gray. Also worth noting is that the file size increased to 95 MB.

Any thoughts? Is it the filesize that is causing this? The 2nd sequence? I guess it's worth noting that sequence is ProRes 422 all 23.976 fps, and all clips are this format. I do have one clip on the timeline that was accidentally left at 29.97 fps - I keep forgetting to conform the clip to 23.976 fps. Could that single 29.97 clip in a 23.976 timeline cause this?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
Re: Crashing due to adding 2nd sequence or file size increasing?
on Jan 28, 2017 at 3:43:45 pm

Your project file cannot exceed 100Mb. Sequence 1 in that project is 92Mb so if you create a new sequence 2, it is part of the same project and so will increase the project file size. Try dumping unused render files to free up some space.

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jan 28, 2017 at 9:26:42 pm

I've worked with projects over 200mb a lot in the past. I don't think that's a rule.

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jan 28, 2017 at 9:30:19 pm

I've had a project in the past that would crash a lot. What I did was open FCP and save the empty project, I just named it EMPTY. Then I would open that up and open the project I wanted to work on from within FCP rather than double clicking on the project to start FCP.

For whatever reason this alleviated my problem. However, now that I think about it it may have been crashing right after opening.

Your mixed frame rate could be an issue. Have you tried converting that clip and bringing it in at the same frame rate as your other clips?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 29, 2017 at 12:38:08 am

"Is it the filesize that is causing this?"
maybe , but it's not disastrously large

"The 2nd sequence?"
nope, not this

"Could that single 29.97 clip in a 23.976 timeline cause this?"
no. at least i doubt it very much.

of the three, reducing the large project would be the best this to try.
you say you copied the entire project,
but really you just need the one edit sequence,
so either delete everything else form that project,

or possibly better:
copy your master timeline into a new, fresh project,
and copy your trailer timeline as well.

you may find life a bit easier you split your timeline into smaller parts.
that's how most feature work is done.

nick

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Jan 29, 2017 at 1:36:02 am

Hi Nick,

So if I understand correctly, you're saying that for the general editing work being done on the feature I should chop the 2 hour film project into a bunch of smaller projects (maybe 4 x 30 minute projects to cover the whole 2 hour film)?

If I do this, when it's time to export, should I just copy them all into a single new 2 hour project, and export from here?

Thanks,
Matt

Also, thanks to others for your experience and tips as well.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 29, 2017 at 3:19:51 am

hi Matt.

your project isn't ferociously large,
i've often cut features broken into 4 or more parts where the individual parts are larger than 100mb.
i've had no problems with these.

you seem have other problems:
" if I tapped the left arrow multiple times to move back to the front of the timeline, FCP 7 crashes on me.

this could be caused be corrupt FCP preferences.
i would suggest trashing your FCP preferences.
(and getting Digital rebellion's free Preference Manager to help with this in future)

it probably isn't your media, as Prores is obviously a format FCP is happy with.

but why are you stepping 1frame at a time to get back to the head of the timeline?
that could cause strain on your system, but mainly it's very time consuming
up or down arrows will jump you one edit at a time,
or use the home key to take you to the beginning of the timeline
(similarly the end key takes you to the end of the timeline)
(and while we're at it Shift+ left or right arrows move you one SECOND at a time. i use this a lot)

"I also noticed the audio waveforms being partially gray and partially white, where they are normally all gray"

trashing your waveform cache could help.
FCP would be forced to re-draw all it's waveforms.
but trash preferences first, that can often fix weird display issues.

regarding project size, and workflow:

"should I chop the 2 hour film project into a bunch of smaller projects"

in your case no, as i say 100MB wouldn't worry me too much.
bit if you wanted to make it smaller, first thing id; suggest is not hanging onto too many old versions of the edit.
i try to have only 1 current version of the film in my edit project
sometimes 2 if we've toying with a couple of big structural options.

older versions get hived off into other projects, which i'll describe in a little while

"(maybe 4 x 30 minute projects to cover the whole 2 hour film)? "

i tend to work in 4 parts myself as it reflects the usual dramatic structure of 4 acts
(yes 4, as the typical second act is about twice as one as the first and "third", and should have a good strong mid point, therefore 4 acts)

if you were to split yours however, i'd suggest 2 , and ONLY if you can't get it to work as one whole project
my last film was a lot simpler than i'd anticipated, and i kind of regretted i hadn't kept it in one project, as it would have fitted.

"If I do this, when it's time to export, should I just copy them all into a single new 2 hour project, and export from here?"

that's what i do.
when it's time for a screening or a particular viewing copy,
i copy the sequences from each edit project into a new project, dated and with a brief description (MyFilm edit 1701129 for Investor X)

i keep each part's sequence in here (also with the date appended), and this is my back up of older edits.

i tend to export from these sequences as they're already rendered,
and we stitch together the exported parts (and screen from an FCP timeline)
but another way would be to create one giant timeline from the various parts.
(but still keeping the individual sureness for each part as the backup.)

hope that helps,
nick

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Jan 29, 2017 at 4:11:22 am

Thanks for all the tips Nick. (I must've misspoke, I meant I was tapping the left arrow to move through maybe 5-10 edits to get to the beginning of the timeline.) I tried trashing preferences and restoring with Digitial Rebellion. Perhaps I did it wrong as I trashed and restored after I had problems. Perhaps I need to trash preferences, and then manually reset them...then backup and restore?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Jan 29, 2017 at 4:28:04 am

Correction: Using the up arrow!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 29, 2017 at 6:15:13 am

yeah, trash prefs,
re-start, establish your prefs the way you like them, and quit FCP.
back up your freshly created preferences.

at least that's the way i do it.

n

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Jan 30, 2017 at 6:50:22 am

I figured out the problem! I added a Master Template to the timeline and that's what caused it to get a weird and then cause FCP 7 to crash when I later tried to re-open the project. I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm on El Capitan 10.11.6 so Motion doesn't work with this OS. So perhaps the Master Templates are in some way dependent on Motion being installed and functioning. No big loss - I'll just use other programs that would've given me the benefits of Master Templates. That's a wrap on this on!

Too bad though...the Master Template called Feature Title under 3D Text was pretty cool for what I was doing.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 31, 2017 at 10:16:58 pm

good news!
all the best with the project ☺

nick

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Feb 1, 2017 at 12:14:09 am

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]