FORUMS: list search recent posts

Installer too old

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Installer too old
on Jan 26, 2017 at 4:10:05 pm

After 3.5 hours on line with a very patient Apple assistant, I got my paid=ro copy of Mountaiun Lion OS downloaded, so I can put it in a partition on my Yosemite-driven imac. However, when I hit the button in Apple Store to "Install", I get an error message: "The installer is too old".

Anybody else here meet and beat this problem before?

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Installer too old
on Jan 26, 2017 at 5:06:09 pm
Last Edited By Warren Eig on Jan 26, 2017 at 5:06:20 pm

Can you try setting the clock on the mac to the year the installer came out? Just a guess...

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 26, 2017 at 6:16:20 pm

YES! I hate that. Gotta reset the clock. Typically this is solved by downloading the installer from the App store right away, as it is a "current" installer, even though it's for an OLDER OS. It's odd...but in making my Hackintosh I found out that the old installers are still updated...they have small bits of code written into them to block viruses or code holes...something. And so after certain dates, the downloaded installers won't work. Simple solution is to re-download them now...or reset your computer clock

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Jan 27, 2017 at 1:25:21 pm

Re-setting the clock may work, I never tried it. But with some Apps they got wise to that one and made it so the installer won't procede unless the clock is set to network time automatic update. This is all getting out of hand.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 27, 2017 at 7:16:52 pm

Roger nailed it - the clock trick doesn't work now, at least, it didn't for me: Apple Store refused to function until the clock was restored. What's killing me is how long this is taking to resolve, because the imac i'm dealing with is a used/ resold one, it doesn't qualify for AppleCare levels of attention, and the regular phone support hours mean I'd have to take a half day off from work at least, Business hours, mon-fri, to get the help I need from Apple on this.

Does anybody have a line on an installer for Mountain Lion that will work with/around Yosemite?

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Jan 28, 2017 at 4:05:22 pm

Mark, you could try making a bootable installer. Do a search for "Disk Maker" choose the one for Mountain Lion. Get yourself an 8 gig USB stick and plug it in to your computer. Launch Disk maker and it will ask you which disk you want to make an installer from. Choose your downloaded copy of ML. It will then format the USB stick to Mac OS extended and create the installer. When complete, restart your computer whilst holding down the Alt key. When the screen lights up you will see the available boot volumes, choose the newly created USB installer. If you are using a wireless mouse it won't function at this stage so use your arrow keys to select the boot volume then hit the return key. It will take quite a while to boot from the stick because it's slow. When it's ready, run the installer and choose the empty partition on your HD. Hopefully all will go as expected but it will take much longer because of the amount of data and the speed limitation of USB.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]