FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone running FCP 7 and Premiere Pro at same time on same Mac? Any problems?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Wilson
Anyone running FCP 7 and Premiere Pro at same time on same Mac? Any problems?
on Jan 23, 2017 at 6:42:20 am

I want to have both FCP 7 and Premiere Pro open and running at the same time on my MacBook Pro. (I can download and use any version of Premiere Pro.) Premiere Pro will be using almost no processing power, I'm just using it as a tool to layout clip image frame grabs(.PNGs) as way to visualize the edit I'm doing in FCP 7. I'll toggle between them as I work. (I'm on a MacBook Pro Mid-2015 running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6)

I'm curious to hear if anyone has experience running these 2 applications at the same time and if it's stable or if there are any problems?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Anyone running FCP 7 and Premiere Pro at same time on same Mac? Any problems?
on Jan 23, 2017 at 3:51:00 pm

How's FCP 7 running for you on El Capitan? Have you given it a real workout? I THINK 10.8 was the last Mac OS that would reliably run it. It might have been 10.6, even.

PP CC 2015.4 ought to run on your machine. But paying 30 bucks a month just to arrange stills seems pretty steep to me. Why can't you do the same thing in FCP in a different edit timeline?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
Re: Anyone running FCP 7 and Premiere Pro at same time on same Mac? Any problems?
on Jan 23, 2017 at 5:59:20 pm

So far so good with FCP 7 on El Capitan. 2 hours of ProRes footage on timeline. Full renders at reasonable times. Editing smooth. Small problem with a plug-in, but managed to workaround that. Yeah, I've heard a few OS's back is better for El Capitan, but quite a few people report doing okay with it, and it's working nicely for me.

I already have Creative Cloud, but if I didn't I would definitely not shell the money just for a storyboard option. I was thinking the same as you in terms of just opening up a new sequence to be used for the storyboard .png's. Project file size is 91 MB and I was hoping to keep it under 100 MB as I hear FCP 7 can be error-prone at 100MB +, but I think I'll probably try it out and see how much it adds to filesize.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 26, 2017 at 3:47:12 pm

I hear you about project file size. Is it possible to segregate this project into "acts" or "scenes", saving them separately as their own project files? There's a clunky idea!

Like you, I suspect a not-the-latest version of PP is the way to go, as long as you have it already. People report a lot of problems with the latest version, for a wide variety of tough-to-diagnose reasons.

I say go with something that WORKS, which means PP CC 2015.4. No sense being a part of the Adobe Unpaid Beta Tester Program of something as straightforward as a storyboard.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Jan 27, 2017 at 6:48:36 am

Thanks for advice Dave. Lol re beta-testing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]