FORUMS: list search recent posts

When changing sequence settings to higher quality, do you need to redo color corrections already done, or just re-render?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Wilson
When changing sequence settings to higher quality, do you need to redo color corrections already done, or just re-render?
on Jan 22, 2017 at 10:55:15 pm
Last Edited By Matt Wilson on Jan 22, 2017 at 10:55:56 pm

I'm in FCP 7, using ProRes 422 footage. If you've already made a bunch of color corrections to a bunch of clips in a sequence, and then you change some of the sequence settings to a higher quality, do you need to redo those color corrections that were already done...or do you just need to re-render?

I noticed when I changed the motion filtering quality (in sequence settings) from "Normal" to "Best", my rendered timeline with blue and gray bars, changed to red. But when I changed Master Templates and Motion Projects Quality from "Normal" to "Best" (along with checking the "Always Use Best Quality When Rendering Movies"), I didn't see any changes in my rendered timeline. So my question is, does FCP 7 always warn you when you need to re-render something.

Also, when doing final exporting, does selecting "Recompress All Frames" guarantee that my final export uses the last bunch of sequence settings I have chosen/changed to?

Any downside to selecting "Recompress All Frames"?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: When changing sequence settings to higher quality, do you need to redo color corrections already done, or just re-render?
on Jan 23, 2017 at 12:00:52 am

[Matt Wilson] "If you've already made a bunch of color corrections to a bunch of clips in a sequence, and then you change some of the sequence settings to a higher quality, do you need to redo those color corrections that were already done...or do you just need to re-render?"

Just re-render. They should still have the filters on the clips. But this begs the question, what were the sequence settings before?

[Matt Wilson] "I noticed when I changed the motion filtering quality (in sequence settings) from "Normal" to "Best""

There's no reason to do that. Basic ProRes sequence settings are just fine for rendering and exporting masters. I've done that for many broadcast shows.

[Matt Wilson] "Also, when doing final exporting, does selecting "Recompress All Frames" guarantee that my final export uses the last bunch of sequence settings I have chosen/changed to?"

No. it will re-compress your footage, adding a level of transcoding. If you export a Quicktime Movie, and DON'T recompress, then it's a simple copying of 1's and 0's to a stand alone file. RECOMPRESS will basically add a layer of compression.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
Re: When changing sequence settings to higher quality, do you need to redo color corrections already done, or just re-render?
on Jan 23, 2017 at 12:37:12 am

Hi Shane,

After reviewing settings, the only settings I was thinking about changing are:

"Process Maximum White" is now at White, thinking of changing to Super-White,
"Motion Filtering Quality" is now at Normal, thinking of changing to Best,
"Master Templates and Motion Projects" is now at Normal, thinking of changing to Best, (and also checking the box for "Always Use Best Quality When Rendering Movies").

So If I read you right, you're saying that any sequence settings changes I make will prompt me to re-render anything that needs re-rendering by giving me red bars, and once I re-render I am all set? And then I can just export without selecting "recompress all frames", but still have all my color corrections at any newer higher quality sequence settings that I selected?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 23, 2017 at 1:13:31 am

[Matt Wilson] ""Process Maximum White" is now at White, thinking of changing to Super-White,"

Any reason why? Broadcast prefers WHITE. Only theatrical playback can really do SUPERWHITE...110%. Aiming at DVD/BluRay, TV, web? Best to stick to white.

[Matt Wilson] ""Motion Filtering Quality" is now at Normal, thinking of changing to Best,"

Why? Are you changing the speed of clips in your sequence? 50%? 33%? if not, don't change this

[Matt Wilson] ""Master Templates and Motion Projects" is now at Normal, thinking of changing to Best, (and also checking the box for "Always Use Best Quality When Rendering Movies")."

Why? Are you using master templates and motion projects?

Are you changing these because they sound better? Do you even know what changing these accomplishes?

My opinion...don't change anything. Leave them at their defaults.

[Matt Wilson] "So If I read you right, you're saying that any sequence settings changes I make will prompt me to re-render anything that needs re-rendering by giving me red bars, and once I re-render I am all set?"

Yes, but I question WHY you are changing them. Don't change them because it sounds better. You need to have good reasons to change them.

[Matt Wilson] "And then I can just export without selecting "recompress all frames", but still have all my color corrections at any newer higher quality sequence settings that I selected?"

Yes, if you don't recompress, then it will export exactly as you have rendered it out.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Jan 23, 2017 at 2:00:16 am

Thanks Shane - very helpful. I had selected Super-White as I'm focused on possible theatrical playback/festival screening, but will use White as initial viewing will be on DVD/Blu-Ray, Web. (Will re-render with Super-White if festival screening needed. )We are changing some clip speeds, so I'll select Best for Motion Filtering.

What I thought were Motion items, are actually .mov animations probably exported from Motion, so does switching to Best for "Master Templates and Motion Projects" affect/help these?

Also the "Always Use Best Quality When Rendering Movies", appears within the box for Master Templates and Motion Projects, so I suppose this only affects Motion-related items and not the overall film with regular ProRes 422 clips?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 23, 2017 at 2:04:19 am

[Matt Wilson] "What I thought were Motion items, are actually .mov animations probably exported from Motion, so does switching to Best for "Master Templates and Motion Projects" affect/help these? "

This is best if you use MASTER TEMPLATES, or have "sent to Motion" and have motion projects in your timeline, not rendered out comps. If you have just the rendered out MOV files, leave this on normal.

[Matt Wilson] "I had selected Super-White as I'm focused on possible theatrical playback/festival screening, but will use White as initial viewing will be on DVD/Blu-Ray, Web."

ONLY do this when you export for festival screenings where you'll be playing back from a ProRes file or DCP file....and you have bright whites where you want it BRIGHT and to be able to see detail

[Matt Wilson] "Also the "Always Use Best Quality When Rendering Movies", appears within the box for Master Templates and Motion Projects, so I suppose this only affects Motion-related items and not the overall film with regular ProRes 422 clips?"

Correct.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Jan 23, 2017 at 2:08:31 am

Very helpful. I've read through the FCP 7 manual to get most answers, but your help with a few final questions was great. I appreciate your time.

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]