FORUMS: list search recent posts

Switch from ProRes 422 to ProRes 422 HQ before or after color correction or doesn't matter?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Wilson
Switch from ProRes 422 to ProRes 422 HQ before or after color correction or doesn't matter?
on Jan 22, 2017 at 2:02:38 am

Hi,

I thought I'd ask advice for film being done in FCP 7. Using .MTS (AVCHD 8 bit) footage that's been converted into ProRes 422. Ultimate export will be for big screen cinema viewing. After editing, and when I begin color correction, do I need to switch to ProRes 422 HQ before color correction, or can I do all the color correction, and then switch to ProRes 422 HQ to have all my color correction applied at a higher quality. My goal is to get the best quality image on cinema big screen.

(My thought was to color correct in ProRes 422, and then after color correction was complete, use Media Manager>Create Offline and then use Log and Transfer to transcode original media files to ProRes 422 HQ, and reattach the new 422 HQ files to sequence, and render at the higher 422 HQ so I can get the better quality of 422 HQ.)

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Switch from ProRes 422 to ProRes 422 HQ before or after color correction or doesn't matter?
on Jan 22, 2017 at 3:31:35 am

Your original files are AVCHD...8 bit 4:2:0 files. You will see zero quality difference if you transcode to ProRes 422 or ProRes HQ. You get no quality gain transcoding to either format. Watch this little video for an example of why that is (or read the transcript):

http://5thingsseries.com/post-myths/

That being said, it's better to grade footage as ProRes as pushing the colors on it will degrade just a tad less than if you graded as 8-bit. And ProRes is easier to deal with when editing and playing back. So converting to ProRes 422 and grading that will be just fine. Then you can export as ProRes HQ...not because it'll make the quality any better, but the perception of it as being better will be there.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
Re: Switch from ProRes 422 to ProRes 422 HQ before or after color correction or doesn't matter?
on Jan 22, 2017 at 3:40:36 am

Would you say this is true even when projecting onto big screen in a cinema?

Also if 422 is better than 8 bit for color grading, wouldn't 422 HQ be better than 422?

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 22, 2017 at 4:48:39 am

[Matt Wilson] "Would you say this is true even when projecting onto big screen in a cinema? "

Yes. Going to ProRes 422 or HQ doesn't matter. Your footage was shot 8-bit...there is no improving that. Just like the video I posted...you have a glass of water...putting it in a pitcher doesn't make it better..it just occupies a larger space. ProRes 422...HQ, converting your footage to either will be exactly the same...the only difference is a larger container.

[Matt Wilson] "Also if 422 is better than 8 bit for color grading, wouldn't 422 HQ be better than 422?"

No. Both are 10-bit. And it would be BETTER if your footage was 10-bit originally, but it isn't, it's 8 bit. But it is true that if you grade 10-bit footage you will see slightly better results when you push things far vs grading 8 bit stuff. BARELY better. BARELY. So going 422 vs HQ won't make one bit of difference.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Jan 22, 2017 at 5:23:57 am

Thank you Shane. Great info.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]