FORUMS: list search recent posts

renaming clips on timeline to match souce file name?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason O'Hara
renaming clips on timeline to match souce file name?
on Jan 6, 2017 at 3:15:32 am

I am in the midst of an Offline/Online edit.
I edited the entire project with low quality proxy files, ie. with file names such as:
Clip1_Proxy.mov

I was careful to ensure all such PROXY files retained the original dimensions, frames, etc. as the high quality files, so that now during the online edit I can simply "reconnect media" and replace "Clip1_Proxy.mov" with the high quality file "Clip1_HQ.mov"

The reconnect works flawlessly, however after reconnecting, the file on the timeline still retains its old name: "Clip1_Proxy.mov" even though it is in fact the new file: "Clip1_HQ.mov" which I can confirm by ctrl-clicking the file on the timeline and clicking "reveal in finder" and sure enough, it is indeed the new clip, however I cannot figure out how to have the file on the timeline update its name - except by changing it manually? So the clip appears on the timeline as "Clip1_Proxy.mov" even though it is in fact "Clip1_HQ.mov". It's important that I see the actual name of the file so to have a visual reference of what files have already been replaced, and which have not yet been, and the only way I can do so right now is clicking through clip by clip and using the "reveal in finder" function - which is cumbersome for a 90 minute film.

Is there some simple way to have the name of the clip on the timeline automatically update after reconnecting clips? Many thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: renaming clips on timeline to match souce file name?
on Jan 6, 2017 at 7:51:24 am

Well...you can highlight the clips in the bin, and right click on one, and at the very bottom, choose RENAME CLIP TO MATCH FILE. DO NOT CLICK ON THE OTHER OPTION>..that will rename the file. When you do this, all the clips will update to match the file they are connected to.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jason O'Hara
on Jan 7, 2017 at 12:33:53 am

Thanks Shane,

indeed I'm aware how to rename clips in the browser as you advise - however that's not what I'm trying to do, rather, I want to rename clips on the TIMELINE after using "Reconnect Media.." to connect the clip to the higher quality version of the same clip (that has a different file name than the low quality version it replaced), I want the clip on the TIMELINE to display the name of the clip it is actually connected to, however it does not, it retains the original file name, i.e "Clip1_proxy.mov" even though I have reconnected the clip to "Clip1_HQ.mov" - the clip name still displays as "Clip1_proxy.mov"?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 7, 2017 at 12:52:11 am

It's been a LONG TIME since I did this. But if you have a clip in the browser, cut it into a sequence, and then change the name of the clip in the browser, it DOES NOT update it in the sequence? if not, then there's nothing you can do. FCP only changes the names of clips in the Browser, not timeline.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 8, 2017 at 12:44:29 am

you can't do the renaming process from the timeline,
it only works from the browser

this shouldn't be a problem IF you have a good master / affiliate relationship between the timeline clips and the browser clips.

if you do, then re-naming the browser clips will indeed update the timeline clips.
if the browser clips are still PROXY, then renaming them won't do anything.

if the timeline clips DONT refer back to the browser clips,
then you can create new master clips from that sequence.
select the sequence in the borrower, and go Tools Menu > Create Master clips

if most of your timeline clips do refer to the browser, but some don't,
this will just make new masters for the ones that don't

this will also give you master clips for ALL CLIPS, including any generators , like text. colour or slug.
in my work this leads to problems (i often have subtitles with the subtitle text in the generator name,
also large dis-abled text clips with descriptive names. if one gets copied and renamed, both instances will have the new name)
so i'd make a copy of the sequence, and remove all text, then Create Master Clips.

then do the re-naming.

if your browser clips are scattered throughout many bins,
then simply do a search in the browser for "Source contains HQ"
or the name of the folder in which your HQ clips are residing
you'll get a window with all the HQ clips, and you can rename just those

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]