concealing text that is baked into the video clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
concealing text that is baked into the video clip
on Jan 5, 2017 at 7:48:07 pm

Hi,
I am using fcp 7, prores 422

i have some clips from an old project that i don't have the source files for anymore, so the text layer is already baked into the clip. I want to know what my options for getting rid of the text.
I'm thinking if i use a mask or a matte go blacken out just the spots where the text is. The text is in 3 corners of the video image, what mask filter would be best in fcp 7? I would have 3 selections, one for each of the 3 corners where there is text. i suppose i could copy the clip and then move the copy layer underneath to try to camouflage the spots where the text was removed.

any ideas? do you know which filter would work best for masking the text in 3 different areas of the video image?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: concealing text that is baked into the video clip
on Jan 6, 2017 at 4:20:17 pm

Cover it up using Motion. It's easier.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 6, 2017 at 6:01:08 pm

I know of a plugin that does this best, but it's no longer available. It allows one to target the blurs to a certain area, because FCP doesn't do that with built in stuff. Barring that, you'll have to layer and crop three times, or use motion.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Jan 14, 2017 at 8:19:29 pm

Dave,

I am using FCP7 with Yosemite. It works perfectly fine, no hang ups. Unfortunately though, Motion 4 doesn't work at all with Yosemite, so I'm stuck with trying to accomplish this task just within FCP 7.

I don't know why, but the garbage matte is just not working for me to select around the text, i don't know if it's a bug with FCP 7 in yosemite, if so, then that's the only bug i've noticed, everything else has been working.

As a work around, is there a way for me to create a mask overlay in PS and then place that in a video track in FCP7 with the video i'm trying to conceal? If so, anyone know how to go about that?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 8, 2017 at 12:49:18 am

a 16 point garbage matte is what you need to define the areas you want to black out or blur

if you want to just black them out, the you can lay some slug or colour over the entire timeline,
and apply the 16pt garbage matte to that

for blurring, double the clip up onto a higher track
use the garbage matter, AND a blur filter

nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 9, 2017 at 7:30:46 pm

I think you all have a piece of the answer and here is mine:

In FCPX, what I do is, grab a still of the shot,take it into photoshop and use clone stamp to replace the text with adjacent textures from the original. That goes on the lower FCP timeline, a clean copy with the text goes above. use the crop tools or for more precision and better appearance, use a free 8,16, or however-many-point masking tool, to mask the texted area and apply a luma key filter to just the selected area. Underneath layer now comes thru and hopefully fills the text letters. I add some gaussian blur to the bottom layer. A new still has to be made for every scene change, every camera take.

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Jan 10, 2017 at 2:11:58 am

Mark, Nick,

Great advice! I followed Mark's advice and exported a still from FCP and edited out the text in PS. Looks great and i can slip it underneath the video layer. My only issue is this: I need to create a garbage matte, but i don't know how to do it when i have 3 separate little areas on the clip image i need to mask out. If i create a quick mask in PS, how do i save it in a format i can import into FCP? do i save it as an alpha channel? i don't know the steps, not sure how to go about this part.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 10, 2017 at 4:34:57 am

in FCP,
use the 16 point garbage matte
that has enough points to draw around all your corners

nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 10, 2017 at 5:50:53 am

You can invoke as many instances the multipoint mask as you need. The one in FCPX is amazing, BTW.

But for FCP7, do a deep google search with my name, the COW, and "multipoint masks" as the terms, and you will get a hit for a posting with free download links to an 8-point, 12-point, 16 and 32-point mask.

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Jan 14, 2017 at 8:26:47 pm

Steve,
I don't see a 16pt garbage matte in FCP7, they only have 4 and 8pt.

Mark,
i google searched but i was unable to find your multipoint matte.

For whatever reason though, i can't get the built-in FCP mattes to work, i don't know why, therefore i wonder if i can create the mask in PS and then import it into FCP and overlay it on the video with the text i'm trying to conceal. I already created the textless still image of the video in PS as per Mark's explanation, it's perfect, only issue now, is creating transparency over the text so that the textless underlayer that i created shows through. Again, not sure how to create this garbage matte in FCP nor how to integrate a custom mask from PS, if anyone knows. It's so simple what i'm trying to do but i'm stuck in trying to do it.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 14, 2017 at 9:46:22 pm

Don't mask the white letters: luminance key them.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 14, 2017 at 10:11:11 pm

"I don't see a 16pt garbage matte in FCP7, they only have 4 and 8pt."

sorry, i forgot the 16pt is a custom plug.

get it here:
http://wiwutv51.com/finalcutpro/finalcut.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]