FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render settings for prores 422

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
Render settings for prores 422
on Jan 5, 2017 at 5:36:50 pm

In Sequence settings, under the Video processing tab, mine is defaulted to "render 10-bit material in high-precision YUV."
There are 3 other options. My project is Prores 422 by the way. I'm doing a music video and need highest possible quality. The effects i am applying are mostly 3-way color correction and chroma key. I also have motion blur and scaling up from the motions tab.

When i am editing i don't mind going with a faster render setup, but of course, when exporting, i need the best quality, doesn't matter if it takes all day to export, can't sacrifice quality for time (also, my project is a 5 min music video, so never takes that long to export anyway).

So, i'd like to know how i should set the render settings. Should i leave it at 10-bit YUV and then change it to "render all YUV material in high precision YUV" when I goto export?
What about "motion filtering quality"? Do i leave that at "norma"l and then change it to "best" only when i'm exporting?
What about "process maximum white"?

In "Render control" tab of sequence settings there is an option for "master templates and motion projects" quality. That is defaulted at normal and the "always use best quality when rendering movies" option is left unchecked. Please let me know what that means, if i should change that.

I'm also wondering if i keep editing a clip and re-rendering as i'm replacing the filters, does that just overwrite the older renders of that clip? that would be fine! Or does it instead keep creating new render files, in which case my project will be adding files that i'm not using. Wondering how that works. Also, if i keep re-editing the filters in a clip and re-rendering, that should be OK right? i imagine FCP is built for that and won't get confused and end up getting the file corrupted?!

OK, please let me know, thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Render settings for prores 422
on Jan 5, 2017 at 6:34:14 pm

[raju bhai] "Should i leave it at 10-bit YUV and then change it to "render all YUV material in high precision YUV" when I goto export? "

Leave it 10-bit YUV. Your source is that, so that is the best option.

[raju bhai] "What about "motion filtering quality"? Do i leave that at "norma"l and then change it to "best" only when i'm exporting? "

I've never had an issue leaving this NORMAL. I've delivered dozens of broadcast TV shows at this setting. Try best and see if you can even tell the difference.

[raju bhai] "What about "process maximum white"?"

Leave that alone. If this is going to air on TV, you'll want it to be under 100 IRE, and that setting can make it go over that.

[raju bhai] "In "Render control" tab of sequence settings there is an option for "master templates and motion projects" quality. That is defaulted at normal and the "always use best quality when rendering movies" option is left unchecked. Please let me know what that means, if i should change that."

Unchecked. If you are working with ProRes footage in a ProRes sequence, when you export a Quicktime Movie, zero recompression occurs...so that setting would be pointless. Only really comes into play when exporting Quicktime CONVERSION...which I don't recommend.

[raju bhai] "if i keep editing a clip and re-rendering as i'm replacing the filters, does that just overwrite the older renders of that clip?"

Yes, replaces older renders.

[raju bhai] "Or does it instead keep creating new render files, in which case my project will be adding files that i'm not using."

Older renders are deleted.

[raju bhai] "Also, if i keep re-editing the filters in a clip and re-rendering, that should be OK right? i imagine FCP is built for that and won't get confused and end up getting the file corrupted?!"

Yes. if you fiddle, and re-render, the older renders are trashed.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Jan 6, 2017 at 1:05:33 am

thanks, much appreciated Shane!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 8, 2017 at 12:57:49 am

[raju bhai] "What about "motion filtering quality"? Do i leave that at "normal" and then change it to "best" only when i'm exporting? "

it can improve the quality of blow-ups.

iv'e noticed it give better results when i had a small zoom-in on some imported graphics.
this was back in the Standard Def days, the improvement in quality is probably not so noticeable in HD,
but i tend to leave it set to best.
can't hurt right?

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]