FORUMS: list search recent posts

aliasing or jitter onFS7 video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Raichl
aliasing or jitter onFS7 video
on Jan 4, 2017 at 8:56:33 pm

We just shot a new commercial, using the Sony FS7, shot in UHD, 29.97. We used Sony's Catalyst Browse to convert to ProRes 1920x1080, 29.97, as the local station isn't doing any 4K for awhile.

The footage looks fabulous, but on a Prorez timeline, I'm seeing a little bit of jitter or maybe aliasing, when the camera is panning. I tried using an uncompressed 10bit timeline, and the same thing occurs. When I opened another project, using a Panasonic P2 camera at 720p 60, there was not jitter at all. Even another 4k project doesn't have that jitter. Any thoughts on why that's happening and how to fix? I am using FCP 7, and have not seen this jitter on other projects.

Kevin

Kevin

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: aliasing or jitter onFS7 video
on Jan 5, 2017 at 3:36:09 pm

The FS7 is well-known for its "rolling shutter artifacts," which you are now experiencing. Google FS7 rolling shutter and you'll find a boatload of info on the topic. As I recall, there are some filters available from various companies designed to help mitigate some of the artifacts.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Kevin Raichl
on Jan 5, 2017 at 4:47:05 pm

Found the boatload, and now know what I'm dealing with. However, I didn't see anything that solved the problem. I have some solutions for future use, but a google search turned of nothing by way of any filters or techniques to compensate. I may have to reshoot this commercial if it looks too evident on air. Anyone know of anything I can do in post to reduce?

Kevin

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 8, 2017 at 12:59:40 am

"Anyone know of anything I can do in post to reduce?"

not in FCP.
id look into other solution like after effects.
maybe motion?
actually i wouldn't be too surprised if FCPX has a solution

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]