FORUMS: list search recent posts

why clips from different sources need rendering despite same transcoding

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
why clips from different sources need rendering despite same transcoding
on Jan 1, 2017 at 7:08:21 pm

Hi,
My projects is mostly canon 5d footage all of which was transcoded to apple prores 422 and the Sequence setting are perfectly matched to the prores footage, therefore no problems there, i can easily drop the canon footage into the timeline and no rendering is required.
Now i also have completely different footage (that originated from a flip camera) that i transcoded to prores 422 as well with exact same frame rate. Yet when i drop these non-canon 5d clips to the same timeline they need to be rendered every time!
The only difference in these clips is the frame size, they are much smaller than the canon footage. Is that why it has to be rendered? When i transcoded in Compressor there was no option to change the frame size on these non-canon clips.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: why clips from different sources need rendering despite same transcoding
on Jan 1, 2017 at 8:59:06 pm

Yes. The only way to avoid rendering is for the clips to be the exact same in every way...frame size and frame rate and codec. But the render should be a green one, so you can still edit and play without the need to render. Make sure the RT settings (upper left of the TIMELINE) is set to UNLIMITED, and not SAFE

In Compressor, in the INSPECTOR (lower right)...the FRAME CONTROLS allow you to change the size of the footage you are converting.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Jan 1, 2017 at 11:26:25 pm

Yes Shane,

thanks, you are right! I found the frame size setting in Compressor's inspector window as you said and was able to change it to the project's frame size in the transcode. However, my clip went from being only 26 MB all the way up to 4gigs! Unfortunately my SSD is at 90% capacity right now. If i don't increase the frame size in Compressor, then i can keep using the smaller file but i'll have to render it everytime which is a pain. I tried using unlimited RT but i keep getting the dropped frames box so looks like my computer can't handle the unlimited RT.

Increasing the frame size doesn't improve the picture one but only adds to file size and allows me to use the clip in the project without rendering. Yes it's a tough trade off, perhaps i'm better off keeping the clips' native frame size and just rendering everytime? You know of any other work around?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 2, 2017 at 3:40:40 am

[raju bhai] "my clip went from being only 26 MB all the way up to 4gigs! "

Yes, ProRes does that. Higher data rate.

[raju bhai] "Yes it's a tough trade off, perhaps i'm better off keeping the clips' native frame size and just rendering everytime? You know of any other work around?"

Get a bigger external hard drive. Always wise to edit with media on an external drive...with a fast connection (FW800, USB3, Thunderbolt).

or edit the file that you ahve, only increase the scale. The scaling in Compressor is better, but it depends on how much quality you want to retain.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]