FORUMS: list search recent posts

mixing frame sizes in FCP timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
mixing frame sizes in FCP timeline
on Jan 1, 2017 at 3:29:22 am

OK, this is a follow up to my last question, but specifically, my timeline is set to my canon 5d footage which is all transcoded to prores 422 and are 1980x1080.
However, i have no choice but to include in this project some clips that are mp4 videos with various frame sizes, all much smaller than the sequence frame size. Sure, it's not going to look good, but i'm going to include them anyway, What is the best way to handle this as far as transcoding with Compressor? When i look at the Compressor inspector, i can easily change the frame rate, however, i see no option to change the frame size. i know increasing the frame size would look bad, however, i'm trying to make it so the non-canon 5d footage gives me the least amount of problems when i drop the clips into my timeline with the 5d footage.

Please let me know, thanks!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: mixing frame sizes in FCP timeline
on Jan 1, 2017 at 4:45:22 am

There is no perfect answer... My advise is, absolutely do transcode them to ProRes 422 or LT (yiu won't see a quality difference), but for now simply transcode at their native resolution, and just scale them in FCP so you know exactly what your looking at while scaling. Those will never be perfect, so just scale on the timeline to the size that works best for you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Jan 1, 2017 at 6:12:55 am

OK thanks, that helps in regards to the frame size!

Now as far as the frame rate, if u think mixing 23.976 and 23.98 is ok because they are essentially the same frame rate, then what do you think about mixing 24 and 23.98? isn't 24 just 23.98 rounded up?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 1, 2017 at 6:35:36 am

23.976 is the correct spec, however 23.98 is just another way that some manufacturers do shorthand to communicate it with fewer characters.

However, don't fur a minute think that 23.976 and 23.98 are the same as 24fps, that's a whole different ball of wax. Resist the temptation to use 24fps, it will screw up your life and it will get you fired.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 1, 2017 at 10:11:50 am

23.98 and 23.976 are the same frame rate, just different names
24fps really is a different frame rate.

if you use it in a 23.976 FCP timeline, FCP will just drop a frame every now and then to make up the difference.
i think it's something like 1 frame every 40 seconds or so,
so theres a good chance it'll never get noticed!

you project is a music video i believe, so sync is kind of important

your 24 fps clips will stay in sync with he 23.976 clips, (by FCP dropping one frame every 1000)
BUT you won't be able to make a multiclip with them.
so you'd need to edit without multiclips, or at least without the 24 and 23.976 clips in the same multi.

you can "Conform" the 24fps clips to 23.976 using Cinema Tools, which will simply change the frame rate, and make the clip play ever so slightly slower.
no change in picture quality, and its really fast.
you can make multiclips, BUT the 24fps stuff will drift a bit, sync wise.
it'll be a few frames out by the end of the song.
but you could deal with that, slipping the clips further into the song.
its unlikely would have sync issue within any one shot.

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]