FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 4k and proxies

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
philippe muller
FCP7 4k and proxies
on Dec 31, 2016 at 10:05:32 am

Hello
i intend to record video in ProRes 4k with atomos shogun flame.
Is it possible to generate proxies in 1080 (with the same file names and time codes) thru a Mac software in order to edit them with FCP7 and keep the possibility to edit in 4K later with FCPX. Thank you for any piece of advise. Best regards. Philippe

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP7 4k and proxies
on Dec 31, 2016 at 6:40:38 pm

Sure, but it's a rather silly workflow - better to just bite the bullet now and learn FCP X.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Fred Turner
on Jan 14, 2017 at 3:37:36 am

I would think you could pretty easily batch convert your initial 4K footage (it's _recording_ in ProRes?) to 2K/1080p using Compressor or MPEGStreamClip, then edit that. Once you're done, disconnect the media and relink to the 4K stuff, assuming they're the same length and start w/ the same frame at 0:00:00.

The part in the middle is what I'd be hazy on...how do you make sure the sequence scales the replaced footage correctly. Someone else would have to answer that. Maybe David could humor us and give his recommendation on the middle part... ☺

Fred

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 14, 2017 at 5:06:36 am

Actually Fred, you hit on precisely that aspect of the workflow that made me reluctant to get into an explanation. You see, I never recommend proxies with different pixel dimensions than my final master, because doing means that all graphics, titles, repositioning, scaling, etc., will have to be redone once the original footage is conformed/relinked, and given that FCP 7 does not support 4K, it just would not have made sense for Phillipe to move the project to FCP X or another app, where almost everything would need a redo.

Make sense?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Fred Turner
on Jan 14, 2017 at 6:17:20 am

Yep, well put. It's that damned middle part! 😃 Seems like there'd be some creative workaround to manage this. What about something akin to the OfflineRT format? Those clips are 320x240 for DV, while DV is 720x480. And apparently, it was smart enough to accommodate the change in frame size (from the manual):

Using Full-Resolution Graphics in a Low-Resolution, OfflineRT Sequence

Even though your OfflineRT sequence is set to small image dimensions, as you edit, you can import and use your full-resolution still graphics in your low-resolution project. Therefore, it’s not necessary to create your graphics with two different dimensions for offline and online editing.

When you edit graphics into your sequence that are larger than that sequence’s frame size, Final Cut Pro automatically resizes them to fit. For example, while working at offline resolution, your sequence frame size is 320 x 240. If you edit in a still graphic that was created with a frame size of 720 x 480, Final Cut Pro sets the Scale property of this graphic (shown in the Motion tab of the Viewer) to 50 percent to fit the sequence’s
320 x 240 frame size.
Generators used in your sequence always inherit the dimensions of the sequence they are in.

When you create your full-resolution sequence for online editing, the dimensions of your graphics and generators are automatically set to the proper dimensions.

I guess this probably only worked for original video of a certain size/codec (like DV), wouldn't work for what Phillippe is trying to do...

FT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]