FORUMS: list search recent posts

Odd Playback in Legacy project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
Odd Playback in Legacy project
on Dec 27, 2016 at 10:29:08 pm

Hey all -

I got a call from a client who needed to drop new music into a project that was finished and archived over 4 years ago on FCP7. The archive drive is fine, and all the data is there, but when playing this old project back on FCP7 on a 2013 Mbp with OSX 10.10.5, I get horrible audio and video dropouts, static and other odd visual errors (screen splits into multi image "strips", turns green, etc).

Can this be corrupted media or some sort of compatibility error? Settings? This is probably the last thing I cut on Legacy so I would be interested to understand if I can or cannot go back into these type projects. Thanks in advance.

sw

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Odd Playback in Legacy project
on Dec 27, 2016 at 10:51:11 pm

You are a pro here, but I'm going to ask the obvious questions...and state an obvious fact.

What codec is the footage? What are the sequence settings? Also...a lot of what you describe sounds like graphics card issues....can you try to open this on another computer?

And you know that FCP 7 wasn't supported under 10.10...last full support was 10.6.8...and 10.9 breaks many of the apps bundled with it. Thus another reason to try this on another computer.

This is why I keep my MacPro 2008 and have it on 10.6.8...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Dec 27, 2016 at 11:14:42 pm

[Shane Ross] "but I'm going to ask the obvious questions"

My bad for not adding these details. Just getting home from a long holiday drive and wanted to shoot this out to the collective. Once I get back to the suite in the morning, I will get this info. I do know a lot was P2 and GoPro but there were some other cameras used from time to time

[Shane Ross] "last full support was 10.6.8...and 10.9 breaks many of the apps bundled with it. "
This I did not know, as I have not kept up with Legacy after X became "a real boy". This is the first time I have been asked to re-visit a Legacy project this far out from the actual work. Finding a pre 10.9 system might be interesting.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 28, 2016 at 12:49:29 am

[Scott Witthaus] " I do know a lot was P2 and GoPro but there were some other cameras used from time to time"

P2 I know comes in as DVCPRO HD...was the GoPro and other footage converted to ProRes or other FCP editing codec?

[Scott Witthaus] " Finding a pre 10.9 system might be interesting."

Try ANY other computer running FCP 7, to see if it's the graphics card....at least.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Dec 29, 2016 at 3:50:09 pm

[Shane Ross] "Try ANY other computer running FCP 7, to see if it's the graphics card."

OK, so you mean that although this grafx card may run X and Premiere projects just fine, it may not with Legacy. Will do.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 29, 2016 at 6:32:46 pm

No....it's just that what you describe seems like a GPU failure. if all other apps work, then that's not it....

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]