FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Rates

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson Rocha
Frame Rates
on Dec 27, 2016 at 12:50:20 pm

Hi, i have footage 1920X1080 with different frame rates, 25fps, 30fps and 29,97fps, in mp4 format, what should be the best settings to edit in Final Cut?

Should i convert them first all to the same format?

im using a timeline with 25fps but when i export i have a strange video, in non sync audio...

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Frame Rates
on Dec 27, 2016 at 7:29:53 pm

First off, FCP 7 doesn't mix frame rates correctly, at all. Second, it doesn't edit MP4 footage. Two strikes. MP4, when edited with FCP, will have sync issues galore. if not while cutting, definitely when you export.

Step 1...convert all the footage to ProRes 422. Yes, this will take up a LOT more space than the original footage. Sorry, but that's what needs to happen with FCP 7

Step 2...convert all the frame rates to the one you need to master in WHEN you convert to ProRes. You'll have to do both of these with Compressor...and in the FRAME CONTROLS in the INSPECTOR of Compressor, you need to set all the options to BEST. This means that the conversion will take a long time.

OR...

Edit with a more modern NLE that mixes frame rates better, and can even work with MP4...or convert it in the background for you...and work with mixed frame rates. FCX and Adobe Premiere do this....just letting you know.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nelson Rocha
on Dec 28, 2016 at 12:44:25 pm

Thanks.

If I export the MP4 in pro teas it's good.

What I will do, onde I had 2/3 of job done is finish the editing and after replace the files with the 422 ones. Do you think this would work?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 28, 2016 at 6:34:56 pm

You are 2/3 of the way done editing? Meaning you already mixed the formats? Well, if you want it to look good, and not skippy, you need to stop...convert the footage, MANUALLY recut the 2/3rds you already cut as you cannot simply relink, the frame rate and timecode will be different. And then continue editing to finish.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nelson Rocha
on Dec 29, 2016 at 10:30:32 am

Is too much work i hope dont need to do everything again.

Even after replacing the files if the files dont match exactly i can do reedit again, but i think after i sync the files will not be to different.

As i told, if i export these mp4 in FC for pro res 422 the video is ok and synchronized.

thanks for the help

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 30, 2016 at 4:28:37 pm

There will be a point where you hit a wall editing with mp4. FCP can only ACCOMMODATE the footage. It DOES NOT WORK WELL with it.

Bite the bullet. Convert this stuff NOW. Or convert it later when you hit the wall. It's your choice.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nelson Rocha
on Jan 4, 2017 at 1:01:02 am

I did what I told you I was going to do, even to see if it worked, and it worked.

I edited everything in mp4, h264 and then replaced the files to pro res.

Let's say that 80% was made with the mp4 edition.

I had to sync some lines again and trim better, but it worked.

Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 4, 2017 at 6:30:29 pm

[Nelson Rocha] "I did what I told you I was going to do, even to see if it worked, and it worked."

You got lucky. If I were you, I wouldn't push my luck in FCP7.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]