FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gamma change when exporting ProRes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
diana manfredi
Gamma change when exporting ProRes
on Dec 18, 2016 at 12:29:26 am

Hi guys,
I have a couple of questions and I hope someone can help me.
First...I delivered a Prores 422 HQ video but now I have to cut out a scene from it and re-deliver. The problem is that they let me know too late and now I'm traveling and I don't have access to my project file, I only have access to the already exported 422 file. Will it lose quality if I import the Prores 422 HQ file, make the change, and export a new Prores 422 HQ file from it?

Second question...I'm gonna be doing this from my MacBook pro instead of Imac. I always had a gamma issue on my laptop that I don't have on my Imac. When I export any type of Prores file from FCP 7 I get a big gamma change. The exported files are super dark. Same thing if I use Compressor. It doesn't happen if I export H264. I have been googling this and it seems like a common problem. I don't think it's the monitor and yes the "auto gamma correction" box is checked as well as the "final cut studio color compatibility" box in quicktime. When from the menu I choose Prores I immediately see the gamma change in the preview box. Checking/unchecking the "auto gamma correction" box makes no difference.

I could never figure out how to fix this issue so I usually just use compressor and FCP 7 on my Imac if i have to work in Prores. But now I am traveling and only have my laptop with me so now I really need to find a solution. The file I'm getting is way too dark to deliver.

Please only comment if you have an answer on how to fix it, don't tell me to compensate with color correction. I'm not gonna wrongly re color correct a one hour documentary to try to compensate a fcp bug. Again, same exact project on my iMac exports fine. It's not the monitor, the file I get from the laptop is super dark when watched on iMac monitor too. Same project exported in h264 on my laptop isn't dark. Only the prores is.

Thanks!

Diana

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Gamma change when exporting ProRes
on Dec 18, 2016 at 1:43:15 am

You probably NEVER had QT set up properly on your machine. Just cut out the unwanted footage & re-export in ProRes HQ. You can check it out once it's exported. I bet thete will be no change. To check, you can export a couple of very short segments from the master. It won't take long.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

diana manfredi
on Dec 18, 2016 at 10:02:14 am

Hi!
Maybe I wasn't clear but that's exactly what I tried numerous times and yes every single time it changes the gamma. Do you know what I should change in the qt settings to fix this?
Thank you!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 18, 2016 at 2:23:13 am

Diana,

Why would you check auto gamma correction? That's seems to me a sure fire way to create gamma issues.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

diana manfredi
on Dec 18, 2016 at 10:09:08 am

Hi!
The box is checked, what I meant is that checked or not it doesn't make any difference...the file comes out exactly the same (dark). That auto gamma correction parameter doesn't work. That's the whole problem.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Dec 18, 2016 at 12:33:55 pm

what happens when you check the laptop created files on another computer?

sorry cant really help w the Gamma issue.
but to answer your first question, yes you can go a generation with no loss of quality.

nick

Return to posts index

diana manfredi
on Dec 18, 2016 at 6:03:43 pm

Thank you! That's really good news ☺
The file is dark in every computer/monitor. It really comes out dark it's not just how qt shows it in the laptop's monitor :/

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Dec 18, 2016 at 9:14:03 pm

do you have access to another system you can work on?

are you able to make the edit,
and send though a project file, or EDL to someone who can duplicate your changes?
(also send a lo-res guide, maybe of just the changed section)

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]