FORUMS: list search recent posts

full reinstall of FCP 7, don't want to lose my plugins

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scott Patterson
full reinstall of FCP 7, don't want to lose my plugins
on Dec 14, 2016 at 8:01:01 pm

having my tower Mac Pro juiced up and fresh install of everything onto the new SSD drive.
Techs say that they need to get rid of all apps, so I have to reinstall. They will be able to transfer all "documents" etc . They are not sure however if my FCP plugins will go missing. Can I just copy all my plugins into a backup folder (or pull from an old Time machine folder) and then drop into the plug-ins folder once FCP 7 is reinstalled?
Hoping this will work, because I don't see trying to hunt down old purchases and re-downloading everything.

thx for any insight
scott

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: full reinstall of FCP 7, don't want to lose my plugins
on Dec 14, 2016 at 10:06:00 pm

You'll need the original installers, or you'll need to go digging into the SYSTEM...or LIBRARY...forgot the exact location...for the Final Cut Pro System Support...PLUGINS folder. But then if they are FXPlug plugins, they are in another location.

If you move them exactly from one location to another, most likely they will work. others might not, as they install bits in other locations. Always good to archive installers. Because FCP 7 was discontinued nearly 6 years ago, you might not be able to find download links for plugins anymore.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

scott Patterson
on Dec 14, 2016 at 10:19:30 pm

thx. yeah, just trying to keep FCP viable for old projects that still get modified for a few clients. And when I want to cut something fast, since premier is not working well on my machine (hence the attempt to upgrade components in the mac pro)
I hope they can leave the plug-ins folder alone altogether and perhaps they will still work on the new install.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 15, 2016 at 2:27:41 am

What's wrong with cloning your existing disk to the new SSD? If you are upgrading your Mac pro to get better performance from other 64 bit app's you might like to run, ok. But FCP7 is a 32 bit app and so can't utilise more than 4 gigs of installed RAM. It can't utilise GPU processing so a graphics card upgrade will not help. Also, FCP7 is not processor aware, so it can't utilise anymore than one processor or core. If you intend keeping FCP7 then I would suggest leaving your present boot disk in the Mac Pro. Put the SSD in another bay and load that up with anything new that you wish to run. Boot from which disk and O.S. you need on the day.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 15, 2016 at 4:08:42 pm

I presume a juicing-up process includes installing a new OS. As Shane points out, FCP seven is REALLY OLD! There's no telling what a new OS would do to your chances of worry-free success. My guess is it won't be good.

What steps have you taken to ensure you can open old projects in other applications if it all goes bad for you?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

scott Patterson
on Dec 15, 2016 at 4:23:03 pm

hey thanks for the response and concern. FCP 7 will be professionally reinstalled and will stay in 10.9.5 for now.
I will export XMLs beforehand as well. And will slowly integrate those few particular ongoing projects into Premier, once I get the tower working better within Premier. (trying to relieve the problem of mp4/ AVCHD not scrubbing smoothly in the timeline and general sluggishness . The premier experience is not even close to as solid and fast as I can work in FCP so the transition has been slow)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 17, 2016 at 9:18:50 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 17, 2016 at 9:24:41 pm

There could be a good reason for PP woes -- Adobe counts on its users to take part in its Unpaid Beta Tester Program. They release bug-riddled software. Compared to the standards of even 5 years ago, most Adobe software general releases wouldn't even be considered as Beta versions.

So do yourself a favor: Get the PP 2015 version. Don't consider the 2017 version as anything more than a toy. Eventually they may get it right... but by that time a new version will be required. Don't ask me why -- Adobe told users that new versions of software could be released when ready in the CC model. Apparently, ADOBE LIED!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]