FORUMS: list search recent posts

MTS conversion to MOV or other format? XA10 camera

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Guiles
MTS conversion to MOV or other format? XA10 camera
on Nov 2, 2016 at 1:38:44 pm

First, THANKS in advance for the help I know you'll probably be giving me.
Second, please have patience with me, I'm a noob to more than just the forum. I've lurked here many times, but not posted much.

My issue: Just purchased a Canon XA10 for my class. I can't seem to get the video off to edit it.

I've read the forum and found a bunch of stuff on AVHD and .MTS files.

I use a 3 year old iMac running Final Cut Express 4. Don't judge me.
That said, I have had a VERY difficult time just even looking at the footage. I want to convert for use with FCE4 (Apple Intermediate Codec seems to work the best with my current set up).

In the past, I would just pull files off of a DSLR and then convert in MPEG Streamclip.
The XA10 baffles me a bit.

I'm not at work yet, so I'm not looking at the camera.
I have read other threads, but they're older and don't all seem to apply to my situation.
I'm filming tomorrow and doing some interviews that are a one time kind of situation.
I'd like to use the XA-10 just for the audio, but I'll use an iPad if it'll work easier. (Heresy!)

Any advice?

Be gentle.

Sincerely,

Steve (aka Mr. Gee)

I'm a teacher.
I'm a musician.
I'm a guy who messes around with videography.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MTS conversion to MOV or other format? XA10 camera
on Nov 2, 2016 at 5:13:28 pm

Well, one big issue, sorry to say, is trying to use a newer camera with older, discontinued software, and a codec that isn't supported anymore. Final Cut Express was discontinued nearly 6 years ago, and with it, the Apple Intermediate Codec. I have several options to give you for converting that footage, but first off, it'll only do it to ProRes or DNxHD (or a "re-wrap" that won't work for you). And it only works with Mac OS 10.9 or higher...An OS that FCE might not work under. That app is called EDITREADY by divergentmedia.com. But again, you need a newer OS, and it encodes to a format that I don't know if FCE supports. It might...

You might need to look at other options for editing moving on. Adobe Premiere Pro will edit this footage right away, no converting. And for teachers and students, it's only a few dollars a month. I think $9.99. $15.99 for the whole Adobe set per month for teachers. So that might be something to consider. You will have to update the OS, but your computer should be able to deal wit that.

Shane

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Guiles
on Nov 2, 2016 at 5:45:19 pm

So, I'm in OS 10.9.5 right now, and, believe it or not, FCE4 still works. ?
I DO have Adobe Premiere CS 5, but I've never used it.

You know how you use a tool and keep using it because it works?
I realize that eventually I'm going to have to move "up" to Premiere or FCX.
I actually have Final Cut Pro on another iMac (same OS), but I haven't used it because I just haven't had time to dive into it.

I'm NOT editing videos on a daily basis. That said, I'm getting the idea that maybe I should start the move soon.

I'm a teacher.
I'm a musician.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 2, 2016 at 6:59:20 pm

[Steve Guiles] "You know how you use a tool and keep using it because it works?"

Yes. I mean, why stop using something when it still works? I only upgrade when I'm forced to...when new camera tech and the camera man who bought it forces me to. Or I need it for a new deliverable.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Nov 3, 2016 at 1:02:05 am

Mr G, I've never used FC express but it seems that your stumbling block is that the ProRes codec is not supported. As Mr R. suggested you could use Editready but would need to update your O.S. Well... Clipwrap, the predecessor of Editready, is still available and will run on your system, you can download a trial. Using that you could transcode to ProRes and then run the transcoded ProRes files through MpegStreamclip to an HD format that FCE can work with, be it AIC or whatever?

If you can't manage to get the files off the camera I had a quick look on youtube and found this. Inexplicably the guy is running Windows on his Mac but the process is pretty much the same for Mac.

Excuse my apparent flippancy. I couldn't resist :o)

Mr P.

Return to posts index

Steve Guiles
on Nov 3, 2016 at 8:36:22 pm

Flippancy + helpful response appreciated. ?

Thanks guys!

I'll let you know if I get this to work. Trying now.

I'm a teacher.
I'm a musician.

Return to posts index

Steve Guiles
on Nov 3, 2016 at 9:55:39 pm

I dragged the .MTS files into Adobe Media Encoder (which I have version CS 5.5).
I set it to encode to H.264...they look like crap. ?

I saw a tutorial and it mentioned I should do this.
Just spent an hour converting an entire set of clips.
Lesson learned: convert ONE clip and watch it.

Ok. So, what SHOULD I be converting TO?
I usually use Apple Intermediate Codec and that looks killer in FCE4, but I'm not sure how to get a high quality encode of these MTS files and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Any other input?

I'm a teacher.
I'm a musician.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Nov 3, 2016 at 11:58:50 pm

As I suggested. Use Clipwrap to transcode to ProRes and then use Mpeg Streamclip to convert to AIC if that works for you. H264 is not an editing format for you.

Roger.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]