FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio wav files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randall Johannes
audio wav files
on Nov 2, 2016 at 1:29:45 pm

I recorded external audio using sound devices recorder as 48 hz and 24 bit wav files. I actually wanted 48 hz and 16 bit files. First question, will the 24 bit files cause any problems on the timeline and in editing. Second question, can I film the rest of my movie (I'm using Lumix GH2 camera and syncing sound on timeline from external recorder) and record external audio as 48 hz and 16 bit wav files without issue with the few scenes I have already recorded in 48 hz 24 bit wav files?
I'm not sure if 24 bit and 16 bit on same time line will cause syncing problems.
Thanks for the help

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: audio wav files
on Nov 2, 2016 at 3:51:18 pm

24 bit should be okay. It's the sampling rate that gives FCP fits, but 48 kHz is just fine.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Randall Johannes
on Nov 2, 2016 at 4:13:08 pm

Thank you Dave for your quick reply. I really appreciate it. I was a little worried that if Default sequence setting was
set at 48hz 16bit that any 48hz 24 bit may cause possible problems like sync drifting.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 7, 2016 at 9:30:04 am

they can co-mingle,
but why not record at 24bit?
that's what most sound people are using these days

nick

Return to posts index

Randall Johannes
on Nov 8, 2016 at 6:32:49 pm

Nick, good question. I understand the increase in dynamic range using 24 bit but I want to keep file size down so I'm using 16 bit. When I get a larger external hard drive I will most likely use 24 bit.
Since I do have a day and a half of shooting in 24 bit, will I need to choose 24 bit for the sequence or can you choose 16 bit for the sequence and mix 24 bit and 16 bit clips on the same sequence. If the answer is, you can't, then I can keep the bit rates specific to that sequence, 16 bit sequence for 16 bit clips and 24 bit sequence for 24 bit clips and the nest these sequences together or is this even necessary?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 8, 2016 at 7:34:30 pm

[Randall Johannes] "I understand the increase in dynamic range using 24 bit but I want to keep file size down so I'm using 16 bit. When I get a larger external hard drive I will most likely use 24 bit."

The bit depth doesn't add much at all to audio file size. Audio files are also tiny when compared to video files. If saving on storage is your reason to go 16 bit, I'd say you need more storage.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 8, 2016 at 9:36:54 pm

As I said they can co-mingle.
You can mix n match the bit rates.
But really, your issue is storage?
We'd be talking about a gig or two, max.

Nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]