FORUMS: list search recent posts

MXF plugin

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olivier Prudhomme
MXF plugin
on Oct 27, 2016 at 9:38:00 pm

I am looking for the Canon plugin to Log and Transfer footage from Canon C300.
I searched Creative Cow and the links to the plugin are not active anymore since Canon discontinued it.

How do you guys import the mxf files to FCP7?

Thx

Los Angeles - TV Promo Editor - FCP - AVID

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MXF plugin
on Oct 27, 2016 at 10:54:12 pm

Since the plugin is no longer available, you will need to look to an outside converter. EditReady by divergentmedia.com will convert this footage to proRes 422, or HQ, and then you can simply drag that into your project.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Oct 27, 2016 at 10:59:14 pm

while I have you "here" Shane, what is the reason why we should always keep the folder structure when handling this type of footage (and others)
My client isn't convinced by my answers and keeps saying that they can play the video file by itself fine.
My answer was that we are loosing very important info that was captured like aperture info, TC etc...

Do you have anything better ? :-)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 27, 2016 at 11:44:16 pm

[Olivier Prudhomme] "what is the reason why we should always keep the folder structure when handling this type of footage (and others)"

So that you can import it into other NLEs. Sure, you might use FCP 7 now, but what if you go to FCX in the future? Or Avid? or whatever else comes along? Most NLEs (including FCP 7) will not import...nor even see...the footage unless the FULL card structure is intact. And there is all sorts of other data in those files. They take up such little space, why NOT maintain the full structure? Not archiving everything means you risk it not being able to import, risk deleting needed metadata. While archiving everything means taking up just a fraction more space on your archive drive.

[Olivier Prudhomme] "My client isn't convinced by my answers and keeps saying that they can play the video file by itself fine."

Sure....drop the file itself into VLC and it might play. But try to import that into an edit system. That edit system needs the full card structure. Does your client know how to use that edit system? Are they an expert in it? No...that's why they hired you. All you need to do is tell them "In order for me to import the footage properly, ACTUALLY be able to import it...and bring in things like timecode and date shot and source ID...all things important in the editing world, I need the full card structure."

[Olivier Prudhomme] "My answer was that we are loosing very important info that was captured like aperture info, TC etc..."

YUP...exactly. And the ability to actually import the footage without needing to resort to an outside converter. Messing with the file structure would complicate post in a bad way. What if you convert the footage with a third party app, and then the hard drive with the media dies...and you need to reimport? If you had the full structure, and were able to import via the editing app, it'll all just batch import fine. If you used a converter, it won't...it might not even relink properly because it's missing metadata that allows it to do that, so you'd have to recut.

Really...what is so hard about copying everything? I dont' know why many people are resisitant to doing that. bUt, they are

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Oct 27, 2016 at 11:54:54 pm

fantastic as usual Shane.
And I say this every year but you should find a way to get paid for all the knowledge you pour on all the pro websites!!
If you charged 25c a reply you might be close to rich!
Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]