FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Export Different Size Than Sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach Woliner
Final Cut Export Different Size Than Sequence
on Oct 22, 2016 at 4:45:03 pm

Hey Everyone,
I am brand new to this community, just joining it because of this specific issue I just encountered, last night. I had captured from a mini-DV to FireWire cable, some footage from a VHS tape, to back it up digitally. In the process, I got more than just what I want to keep, so I wanted to just chop it down, a bit, in Final Cut, which I did. I exported it to a Quicktime movie, and then, I just wanted to check something, to see if it came out just the same, because of something I remembered recently encountered.
So, I imported the new export, and I layered it directly over the video in the timeline that it was exported from. When I lowered the opacity from 100-0%, hoping it remain exactly the same, as I'd expect, it did show a slight vertical stretch, instead. When looking over the sequence settings and export settings, they appeared to be the same, at 720 x 480, DVNTSC, with 48 KHz, or whatever the units were.
Does anyone know why there would be a slight difference in the appearance, vertically, like that, despite this? I am using an older program, Final Cut Pro HD. Like I said, at least as far as I can tell, the settings are the same. I just want to maintain the integrity of the original image's dimensions, and I am not sure what causes the change, or whether the original captured footage or the export is more true to the source. Thanks, in advance, for any of your feedback!

-Zach

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Final Cut Export Different Size Than Sequence
on Oct 22, 2016 at 6:41:08 pm

The pixels in DV video are not perfectly square. They're a little skinny. This is normal. How did you export from FCP -- a straight export, or via quicktime?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Zach Woliner
on Oct 22, 2016 at 11:55:13 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the response. It was through the typical Export ----> Quicktime Movie function, and not Using Quicktime Conversion, or whatever that option is, if that's what you mean. I am still a little confused, though, since the captured video file is still digital video, so I would think it would have the same pixel traits as the exported file, once captured. Maybe I am understanding it wrong.

-Zach

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 23, 2016 at 3:09:35 am

I think you have done things correctly. Most people are worried about making videos for broadcast or the web. If you want 4x3 video for the web, I would make 864x486 video from your timeline using Quicktime conversion. It should work well.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]