FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding 50fps to 25fps without making clips slow motion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Romina Rey
Transcoding 50fps to 25fps without making clips slow motion
on Oct 20, 2016 at 5:00:51 pm

Hi I need to transcode raw footage shot at 50fps for a project that will be entirely at 25 fps and the editor wants all the footage to run at regular 25fps and not slow motion.
What is the best and fastest way to do this?

Thank you in advance for your time and I hope to hear from someone soon.

Romina

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Transcoding 50fps to 25fps without making clips slow motion
on Oct 20, 2016 at 7:54:50 pm

1) Just drop the 50fps footage into a 25fps sequence. FCP will automatically toss every other frame, and it'll play back at 25fps.

2) Use Compressor. It won't slow the footage down...only Cinema Tools will.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Romina Rey
on Oct 20, 2016 at 7:59:27 pm

Thanks for your response. So I've since learned that it was shot with an Alexa Mini and when I import the footage it says 2944 X 2160 however the frame rate already reads 25fps. I'm baffled at how this footage is 25 but plays back in slow motion. Do I just need to put in in the sequence and ramp up the speed to 200? To make it playback at regular speed? Help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 20, 2016 at 9:29:48 pm

Many cameras have the ability to shoot slow motion. You can set them to shoot 50fps, but record it at 25fps for slow motion. I had a camera that did that, an HPX-170...P2.

Yes, speeding it up will get it to normal speed, but it might not match the other footage, as there will be less motion blur, and did it record audio slow too? The HPX did that, but sped up 200%, it sounded odd.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 24, 2016 at 9:12:22 pm

The Alexa and Ursa Mini both shoot slow mo within a 25 fps wrapper. You only shoot that way when you are shooting slo mo so the camera person either doesn't know how to shoot 50p or it was intended to be slo mo. You can consider taking the files into Cinema Tools and changing them to 50 and then dropping them into FCP which as Shane says will toss the spare frames and run it as 25 with correct audio.

Just bear in mind that Cinema Tools changes file metadata so to be sure, make a copy of the file before changing in case you need to go back to the original.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]