FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP multiclip with WAV audio file sync issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Dundas
FCP multiclip with WAV audio file sync issue
on Oct 19, 2016 at 10:02:29 pm

I am wondering if anybody has had any success making multiclips in Final Cut Pro 7 with multiple cameras and external audio in the form of a WAV file?

I have been syncing multiple cameras with sound and making multiclips for reality TV post for a few years now and I am testing out a new workflow for a new project we are doing. The shoot was fairly simple, 2 cameras (Red Epic & Sony A7S) and audio recorded on a 788T as WAV files. All footage from both cameras has been transcoded from 4k to 1080 Pro Res 422 at 23.98 fps.

Up until this point, I have always taken all of the WAV files from the 788T into Final Cut, placed each file on its own sequence with the settings matching my footage, then exported all the sequences as Pro Res 422 MOV files. I then bring these those files into a new Final Cut project and use them to sync with my footage, and create the multiclips. That way all of the clips I am using to make the multiclip are all the same format (audio & video).

This is the process I was taught when I started my job and it works well. I am wondering if there is a way I can eliminate that step so I can sync and make multiclips with the original WAV audio files? For some reason my multiclips always end up out of sync when I try to use the WAV files. I have made Multigroups in Avid using the WAV files and I can't figure out why it won't work for me in Final Cut.

So here are more details on the process I use to make the multiclips. I place all my footage and audio on a sequence on separate tracks and use Pluraleyes to sync. The 788T is using time of day timecode, but the cameras are not jam synced so I can not use timecode to create the multiclips. So I go to a point in my sequence and match frame, set in point, then create a subclip. I then select them and choose make multiclip using in points. It finds the in points that I set on each clip and uses it to sync everything, but when I use a WAV file for audio, it's like Final Cut doesn't see the in point on the WAV audio. I could go on about the details so comment if you need any more info.

But overall I just need to know if anybody is able to create properly synced multiclips with 2 cameras and a WAV audio file in Final Cut Pro, and if so tell me about your workflow. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ryan Dundas
Re: FCP multiclip with WAV audio file sync issue
on Oct 20, 2016 at 7:23:51 pm

I've also noticed that when I make the multiclips using in points with the WAV file, it strips the timecode from the audio file while the Pro Res 422 video files retain their timecode. I am going to try adding AUX timecode and using that to create the multiclips

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]