FORUMS: list search recent posts

blu ray washed out

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerret Warner
blu ray washed out
on Oct 14, 2016 at 12:49:16 pm

Is there a setting in FCP I can choose to make my blu ray looks less washed out? Color saturation is mostly gone, and what colors remain are very different from our Quicktime master in ProRes... or even H.264.

I know my plasma screen and NTSC handle color differently than computer monitors. Question is, can I create a different master for conversion to blu ray, and if so, how?

GW

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: blu ray washed out
on Oct 14, 2016 at 4:14:27 pm

I've never had this experience. I just finished editing a feature doc and exported a ProRes 422 HQ file of the show to author a Blu-Ray. It looks indistinguishable from the master.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Oct 14, 2016 at 7:55:26 pm

Thanks, Warren.

Wonder what's going on? What was your workflow?

I have the same codec for my master, I transcoded in Compressor 3 and burned the blu ray via Toast to an LG burner.

GW

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Oct 15, 2016 at 11:43:59 am

Apple's implementation of the H264 codec is not great and does cause a gamma shift. You can download the open source X264 codec and use that instead. It's far superior, no gamma shift and retains more detail than H264. Larry Jordan did a feature on it a while back, you maybe able to find it still even though he has since shut down.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Oct 15, 2016 at 12:05:09 pm

I might add that when using toast to burn blu ray it will re-encode even though you send it a previously encoded file. You can tell toast not to re-encode but it still does. The way to get around that is to check the do not re-encode box and then make a disk image instead of burning the disk. Once complete, mount the disk image and use disk copy to burn final blu ray disk.

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Oct 15, 2016 at 4:53:17 pm

I feel like a klutz, but I'm still stuck. I haven't had this much trouble in years.

I've downloaded x264 but haven't yet figured out how to install it.

And I've had no luck finding the "do not re-encode box" in Toast. I'm in Toast 14.1 (on Mac OS 10.8.5)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 18, 2016 at 2:43:02 pm

Larry Jordan isn't gone, he just moved to Thalo. Along with all his back catalog of training materials, etc.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Oct 15, 2016 at 6:13:44 pm

Garret,

I've used Compressor and Adobe Media Encoder and than Adobe Encore to author and make iso disk images to burn in Toast.

I have never seen the gamma shift.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 15, 2016 at 9:44:29 pm

you can burn the disk directly from Compressor if you want, and forget abut Toast.

nick

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Oct 16, 2016 at 1:20:58 pm

I don't see an option for burning a Blu ray (or any disk) directly from Compressor 3.5.3.

GW

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Oct 16, 2016 at 4:06:29 pm

Gerret, You do have Quicktime 7 installed, specifically v-7.6.6 ? If so, you have to drop the x264 codec into the correct folder, Library/Quicktime. Open that folder to check you have the correct folder, it has all the codecs in there. Once you have X264 in there you can build a custom X264 pre-set following Larry Jordan's instructions. Save it as a custom pre-set for future use.

Toast. I'm still using Toast 11 so I can't help you with your version. In 11 click the customise button then the encoding tab to set re-encoding to never. As I said, if you burn the disk directly it will defy your preferences and re-encode anyway which will destroy your carefully crafted x264 encode. Building a disk image first is the way to go. It may seem a long winded approach but it is actually quicker. Again, you can keep the disk image to quickly burn more copies at a later date if you wish.

Compressor. Yes you are right, that version doesn't give the give the Blu ray burn option. Anyway I prefer to turn that option off and change the end action to "Do nothing", that way you get to keep the encoded blu ray and audio files to use again if you wish - or to use in Toast.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Oct 17, 2016 at 12:54:38 pm

Yes, QT 7.6.6

Thanks for the instructions. Funny, I found my Library file a few weeks ago, but I can't remember how? There's lots online about codes in Terminal to unhide/hide, but don't think I want to tackle that right now.

After reading your helpful note I did find the Toast 14 has the re-encoding to "never" option. Thanks for making me look closer.

Turns out—thank you Nick Meyers—you can burn directly to blu ray disk from within Compressor 3.5, as he describes. But I'm with you: better to have a disk image.

I'm simultaneously running a trial version of Adobe Media Encoder. Just have to figure out how to burn a disk.

Thanks again

GW

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 17, 2016 at 12:12:29 am

Hi Gerret.
in Compressor, go to FIle Menu > New Batch from Template (Shift Command N)
there you will see "Create BLu-Ray"
select this, bring in your file, and then click on the small gear icon top right "Create BLu-ray disc"
then in the inspector, under "Job Action" you will get options for a very basic menu.

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Oct 17, 2016 at 12:55:50 pm

Thanks, Nick. Got it.

GW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]