FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media will not reconnect

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alison Rose
Media will not reconnect
on Oct 13, 2016 at 9:47:42 pm

I am a writer, director away from the office to screen footage and write. The editor sent me with the FCP 7.0.3 project files and all the offline media and I am not able to reconnect the media, and the editor is not reachable.
The project opens fine and I can see all the media on the drive.
I've been able to reconnect one entire sequence following File>Reconnect Media>. I've been able to collect a couple of clips in other timelines.
These are dailies: if two clips connect, why don't all the clips reconnect in the sequence?
I've looked at "help" but the information is above my level of expertise.

I'm a writing seeking advice to reconnect the media, and information to understand why the media is not reconnecting when I follow the right steps.

I'm reluctant to create new timelines because I am concerned it will affect all the downstream sequences, for the selects, and the rough assembly etc. Am I right about that?

Thank you forum.

Al

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Media will not reconnect
on Oct 13, 2016 at 10:50:28 pm

You haven't mentioned the type of source footage you're dealing with, which is essential in any "forensic" investigation of video issues in the world of non-linear editing. However, I'm assuming that it's footage from a prosumer camera using .mp4, h.264, or some other MPEG variant; and you have either one or more of the following issues:

1) no reel numbers embedded in the original camera files

2) all timecode on all files begins at 00:00:00:00

3) the directory where those files are located is not 100% identical to that of the editor

4) all of the above

I can probably solve this riddle for you, but not for free. If you decide you need my help, call
me at 3-ten, seven 29-79, zero six.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Alison Rose
on Oct 17, 2016 at 1:31:18 am

Hi David,

We shot the documentary on a Canon C300 and a Canon DSLR and it was edited entirely, finished and released by a professional editing team. I'm the producer/writer/director.

I am travelling, and I brought the media and the entire project with me. The assistant editor who made the portable project for me, made sure it worked (of course). That was over a year ago, and this time setting up my work station, I can't reconnect the media. I recently upgraded the iOS to the most current version.

I'll give you a call on Monday.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 17, 2016 at 1:50:59 am

Gotcha Alison... This is getting even more interesting, and have possibly ruled out some of the possible variables, albeit some that would tend to make my job a tad easier. But alas, have no fear, I haven't had a failure to revive a $&@)ed-up FCP project yet in all my years of helping people here. There is always a first time for everything, so don't start celebrating just yet.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Oct 16, 2016 at 10:33:39 am

Al,
Have a look at this:
https://www.videotoolshed.com/old/fcp-reconnect/

At least read the manual on how and when FCP will and will not relink.

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Alison Rose
on Oct 17, 2016 at 1:35:49 pm

Hi Bouke,

Thanks for this suggestion. I will update the thread as I make progress, and let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Alison

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]