FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't playback .mov files smoothly

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cynthia Stepien
Can't playback .mov files smoothly
on Oct 13, 2016 at 6:46:52 pm

I have received .mov files from my wedding videographer that was shot on a Nikon with a 1920x1080 and 25 frame rate. Originally I had tested his clip and it was viewable on my mac osx 10.8.4

I tried to view his new shot clips that were shot at a 1920x1080 frame rate of 59.9 h.264 compressor and although I can open and view them, quicktime doesn't play them smoothly just very choppy. The clips however are perfectly viewable on a pc.

I tried importing into FCP 7 and same thing- very choppy and not continuous playback.

How do I find out what codec I need to download for playback and most importantly use in FCP?

Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Can't playback .mov files smoothly
on Oct 13, 2016 at 7:54:19 pm

You need to convert these to a codec that FCP works with. FCP does not work with the H.264 camera originals. You need to convert to ProRes 422.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Can't playback .mov files smoothly
on Oct 14, 2016 at 3:19:53 am

Also it is a nightmare to mix frame rates like this. If the 59.94 shots are meant to be slow mo then that is OK. You use Cinema Tools to change the frame rate to 25. If they are not slo mo then you will have to convert them to 25 to match the other shots before you can edit in an FCP7 timeline.

Are you in a PAL country or NTSC becasue maybe there is a double problem with the 25 fps footage. You need to know what the final frame rate is going to be to work out the best path. In the end what do you need to produce as the final format

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]