FORUMS: list search recent posts

The export shrinks my image

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Furie
The export shrinks my image
on Oct 12, 2016 at 2:27:55 pm

I am working in Final Cut Pro 7 on a project where my timeline is 1080 x 1920 so that I can add vertical pictures and export the same (9:16). However, the image is compressed/shrunken every time I export, basically making the person look skinnier. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: The export shrinks my image
on Oct 12, 2016 at 5:19:15 pm

What are your export settings? is there black on the sides when you do this?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: The export shrinks my image
on Oct 15, 2016 at 3:52:14 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 16, 2016 at 4:30:42 am

What's the display device? An HD monitor or TV set? Those things don't naturally display vertical video. You have to turn them on their side, right? So how should you make your video? ON ITS SIDE. You just have to figure out which direction you're going to rotate things -- 90 degrees right or left.

Then you can work at a standard dimension, 1920x1080. Your video will compress properly -- no skinnies!

OR -- you can work at 1080x1920, export NOT at H.264 but a high-quality codec like ProRes 422 (preferred), Photo JPEG or PNG. Then, import that exported file into FCP, rotate the video 90 degrees and put it into a a 1920x1080 timeline and export as H.264. Don't forget which way you rotate the video so you rotate the monitor the same way.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]