FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio SYNC, separate clips.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrea victoria calderon
Audio SYNC, separate clips.
on Oct 9, 2016 at 6:46:48 pm

Would anyone recommend a video tutorial for learning how to properly sync audio (Zoom H6, at 48khz) that was recorded separate from video (h264, 23.97 fps; trans-coded to ProRes LT) I've read other posts in the forum that recommend using Wave Agent, but I'm still unsure as to how it actually works. Haven't gotten the workaround from the reading.

Also, should I use the WAV file or convert to AIFF. I know there is an issue with FCP adding a frame rate to the WAV files, thus causing lagging/speed change problems with the sync.

Thanks ?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Audio SYNC, separate clips.
on Oct 9, 2016 at 9:43:32 pm

Is there a slate or some other clap sync? Syncing that way is a snap.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

andrea victoria calderon
on Oct 9, 2016 at 10:40:11 pm

Forgot to mention, not a slate, but there is a clap of the hands in every take, recorded separately, and with the build in camera mic. This is my first time syncing separate audio. Have never edited like this before, and I don't wanna mess it up.

Thanks for your help Shane

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 9, 2016 at 11:32:47 pm

[andrea victoria calderon] "but there is a clap of the hands in every take, recorded separately, and with the build in camera mic. "

ONLY with the camera mic? And what do you mean "recorded separately?"

The whole point of slating, or clapping, is to have both camera and audio running at the same time, and for both of them to have a common sync point....a visual snapping shut of a slate, or clapping of hands, and then the audio of them as well. This allows you to easily find the common point in both audio and video.

If you are on the set of a feature film or TV show, you'll hear the Assist. Director call out "Roll sound"...and the recordist will do that, and respond "Rolling" or "Speed, meaning audio is up to speed." Then the AD will say "Roll camera!" And camera will respond "rolling!" when they roll camera. And then the AD will call "Slate!" And the assistant camera will go in to slate the scene, calling out the scene and take number, with that information on the slate, so you can find both elements easily.

On a reality show I work on, we still slate. We roll sound and 2-6 cameras, and the slate has date and location information. And then we don't stop rolling until cards are full.

What you need to do when you record audio and video separate is roll audio, and video, and slate/clap so that camera can see it, and audio can hear it, and then continue rolling all the time, until you are done and call cut, and both cut. Then you can sync the footage.

What did you do? Or what did they do on set? Did they do that? Your response worries me that that didn't happen like that.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

andrea victoria calderon
on Oct 10, 2016 at 4:07:06 am

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

So, we did not use a slate because we didn't have one. But there was a clapping of the hands, and every scene and take was read out lout just like you say they do on set, we did all those things. I can see the sound wave of the audio that was recorded on the ZOOMH6, as well as the sound wave that the t3i recorded with the built in mic. What I don't know how to do is to sync them in FCP.

I was told it's easier to do in Premiere, and that I could work an XML file back and forth, but I want to stick to FCP.
I've seen videos on you tube but I still can't get the hang of syncing the clips.

I'm kind of desperate.

Thanks Shane ?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 10, 2016 at 4:52:53 am

WHEW...OK...

http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/#chapter=29%26sect...

http://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/#chapter=29%26sect...

Basically you find the audible CLAP on the audio...the visual CLAP on the video...mark IN on both. And then MERGE CLIPS. I believe it's in the CLIP menu. Read those chapters for better explaination. OH, and convert the video files to ProRes before you do any of this.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

andrea victoria calderon
on Oct 10, 2016 at 9:08:55 pm

The video files are already ProRes. I finally got them to sync, so happy. Now there's only one tiny problem. I exported one section of the media to take a look at a sample export, and there is a tic in the audio. Everything looks perfectly in sync but there is a tic in the background (which doesn't sound at all in the timeline in FCP)

So my guess is there is something wrong with my export settings?
Gosh, it's all so technical.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 10, 2016 at 9:15:32 pm

WHAT ARE your export settings?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

andrea victoria calderon
on Oct 11, 2016 at 1:58:07 am

I figured it out. I wasn't exporting the audio as AAC in 24 bits, 64khz (recommended setting) , that was the whole problem. I tried again, and it worked like a charm, that tic tic sound went away. I'm so happy ?

Thanks for your time Shane! you rockz!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]