FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slowed down DV footage jumpy and jittery in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Brant
Slowed down DV footage jumpy and jittery in FCP7
on Oct 4, 2016 at 4:57:23 am

Hi, I still work on FCP7 because I don't like the changes made since then in the software.

I have a .dv clip that I have imported into FCP7 and I have reduced the speed to 25% with frame blending.

In the FCP preview window, the slowed down footage looks smooth and good.

But when I export as a .mov file, the slowed down portion is jumpy and jittery and looks terrible. How do I get it to export as smoothly as when it was in FCP?

The non-slowed down footage looks great when exported. But this reduced speed stuff is unbearable.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Slowed down DV footage jumpy and jittery in FCP7
on Oct 4, 2016 at 4:36:06 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 4, 2016 at 4:38:26 pm

That's because it's interlaced video. You have fields to deal with. And you can never judge the quality of an image using an FCP viewer--it takes a video monitor. If you had one, you would have noticed the problem right away.

PS -- Da Vinci Resolve works pretty darned well as an editor, and it's a free download. So you don't have to use 7-year-old software that hasn't been supported for the past 5 years.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Slowed down DV footage jumpy and jittery in FCP7
on Oct 5, 2016 at 3:21:54 am

A big problem with DV in the PAL world is that DV is lower field and everything else is Upper (or progressive).

To make the slow mo work if you are using a timeline with Upper like HD ProRes is to bake the slo mo in a separate DV timeline and output it as HD Prores upper (to match your main timeline). Then it will be smooth. As Dave says though you should monitor on an interlaced screen to see if you need frame blending and how the slo mo actually looks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]