FORUMS: list search recent posts

mts to mov on fcp

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anna levin
mts to mov on fcp
on Sep 21, 2016 at 6:53:28 am

Hi! Apologies in advance for asking a question that was probably asked a million times already. I have struggled to find the answer and hope someone can take the time to reply.

I have a bunch of footage in .mts that I urgently need to edit. I have never used Premier Pro and unfortunately do not have time to get to grips with it for this project. I have always worked on FCP. From what I understood, the best conversion is to ProRes LT, but when I try to edit with those files, FCP glitches on every single cut, which is infuriating and makes it impossible to gauge the flow of the project.

Is there anything that can be done? Maybe someone can recommend a different format I can convert .mts to that FCP won't have such a problem with?

Huge thanks for any pointers!

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
Re: mts to mov on fcp
on Sep 21, 2016 at 10:49:34 am

Use Clipwrap or Editready to convert your clips to Proress 422 prior to import into FCP. Be sure to use the transcode option rather than the Re-Wrap option, which although allows you to view the footage, is still long GOP, which FCP can't cope with. The transcode option makes it all "I" frames.

http://www.divergentmedia.com/editready

Return to posts index

anna levin
on Sep 21, 2016 at 1:35:11 pm

Thanks for the reply! I have Pavtube converter, something that has been recommended to me, which is what I used to convert the footage to prores 422 LT. Is that no good?

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Sep 21, 2016 at 2:46:19 pm

Sorry, I have no experience of Pavtube. In FCP go to the browser and right click on one of your clips. Choose item properties > Format. In that window, field dominance, should say "None" if it is Progressive. If it says "upper" or "lower" then it is indeed interlaced.
Also check your sequence settings, where field dominance should be set to "None" for Progressive. Could be that your Pavtube didn't do what you expected.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Sep 21, 2016 at 2:51:41 pm

Sorry, I have no experience of that converter. In FCP go to the browser and right click on one of your clips. Choose item properties > Format. In that window, field dominance, should say "None" if it is Progressive. If it says "upper" or "lower" then it is indeed interlaced.
Also check your sequence settings, where field dominance should be set to "None" for Progressive. Could be that your converter didn't do what you expected.

Oddly, when I tried to post this message it was blocked because I used the name of the converter you used, despite the fact that you used it's name. Guess the Cow is having an off day!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 21, 2016 at 4:13:51 pm

EditReady by Divergentmedia.com is the best tool for this. Which app did you use? ProRes LT is fine, but some apps spit out files that aren't quite fully kosher.

Plus, what format/frame rate did you shoot? and did you convert the files to the same format? Does the sequence match?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]