FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage becoming interlaced in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Rougeau
Footage becoming interlaced in FCP 7
on Sep 21, 2016 at 2:42:01 am
Last Edited By Gabriel Rougeau on Sep 21, 2016 at 2:43:57 am

Hello, this may be the wrong sub-forum, but it's been awhile since I posted here.

I have a Sony NEX VG10 camcorder, and I've been told that this camera only films in progressive, so I figured that it must be the editing software that is the issue. When I import my footage (log and transfer) into FCP I've noticed that the footage becomes interlaced. It's only an issue when I add a filter or effect to the picture or slow it down. For example, if I add an earthquake effect to my clip, I will see the interlaced lines detach at the edges of subjects. Same thing happens if I slow down the clip.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Footage becoming interlaced in FCP 7
on Sep 21, 2016 at 4:12:09 pm

It shoots interlaced:

Sensor resolution: 14.6 megapixel sensor
Video format: AVCHD
Storage media: SD Card, Memory Stick
Brand: Sony
HD format: 1080i
Connectivity: USB, HDMI

You didn't do anything wrong, other than shoot interlaced. I'm not sure if it has a progressive option, I don't own the camera. But google search brought up that it shoots 1080i...and and the "i' means interlaced.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gabriel Rougeau
on Sep 21, 2016 at 8:09:15 pm

I've read that it shoots progressive, but it stores the files in an interlaced container. I read that you're able to extract the progressive files from the container, but I'm not really sure how one would go about that. I guess I should be posting in a Sony thread, but all the forums regarding that camera are dead. If you've ever dealt with a similar issue and resolved it, let me know.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 21, 2016 at 9:18:33 pm

OK...in the Log and Transfer interface, click on the sprocket looking tool upper middle of the interface. In the dropdown menu, choose PREFERENCES.

In the top of the window that appears, make sure that the REMOVE PULLDOWN option is checked. That will remove pulldown on footage shot 1080i 24pA. By that, I mean something shot interlaced, but flagged for 23.98 progressive with Advanced Pulldown removal. So, if you have your camera set to shoot that format, it will remove the pulldown. If, however, you shot 1080i60 (180i59.94)...then there are no flags and it'll be interlaced.

What are the camera settings for shooting format? that you used for this footage?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Gabriel Rougeau
on Sep 21, 2016 at 10:30:11 pm

Yup, the box was checked.

On my camera I shoot manual exposure, 24M FX, Image size 12M, Aspect Ratio 16:9.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 25, 2016 at 4:24:44 am

But what frame rate did you shoot at? 24M is a data rate setting, which can be used with 60i, 50i, or 24p.

Return to posts index

Gabriel Rougeau
on Sep 28, 2016 at 3:35:38 am

I shoot at 24 fps.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 28, 2016 at 4:48:38 am

As I stated, that camera ONLY shoots 1080i. The spec says that. It might shoot a 24p LOOK in that 1080i 29.97 stream. This is how films are telecined to tape...and how they air on TV. Pulldown is added. And that means spreading the frames in the fields of this 29.97 interlaced format.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Gabriel Rougeau
on Sep 28, 2016 at 1:22:04 pm

Okay, so if that's the case, is there a way around having the interlaced image disconnect when an effect is added? It's very distracting.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 28, 2016 at 3:46:26 pm

You'll have to deinterlace all the footage, each clip, when you compress for the web. OR...export as SELF CONTAINED and Deinterlace in Compressor. The settings for that are in the INSPECTOR

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]