FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video becomes "fat" during copy/paste

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Boddington
Video becomes "fat" during copy/paste
on Sep 17, 2016 at 4:16:10 am

Hi,

I'm working in FCP 7 and I need to copy and paste a :30 commercial from a 30 fps time-line to a 24 fps time-line. It will copy and paste fine and playback fine. But as soon as I do this the pasted video becomes "fat" in the 24 fps time-line. The picture appears to be blown up quite a bit and I have no idea why?

I tried trashing and deleting the render files for the project and then opening the original 30 fps time-line and then pasting the sequence into the new 24 fps time-line, same problem, fat video.

The original shots are all 24 fps Arri Alexa footage.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Richard

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Video becomes "fat" during copy/paste
on Sep 17, 2016 at 4:46:53 am

"I need to copy and paste a :30 commercial from a 30 fps time-line to a 24 fps time-line."

1st things first, this is a bad idea
the difference in frame rates will mess with your content and to a certain extent your edits
what are you trying to achieve?

the problem you are seeing is that you are pasting to a sequence that doe not match your clips aspect ratio,
and maybe not its frame size

a simple way to do it would be to open one of your clips into the viewer,
make a new timeline,
edit the clip into it,
when it asks if you want the new sequence to match , say YES,
the delete the clip,
open the sequence's settings, and change the frame rate to what you want.
NOW
you can copy from the one sequence into the other.

but as i said the mis-match of frame rates will not be a good thing.

nick

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 17, 2016 at 5:05:43 am

Damn you Nick! I wrote all that junk for nothing... and on the weekend no less. I'm probably gonna have to have you fried in lard for your transgression. :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Sep 18, 2016 at 8:56:10 am

mmm... lard
:)

nick

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 17, 2016 at 4:59:51 am

Nobody here can help you without additional information. In order to help you we need to know the following:

1) Codec of the camera original

2) Pixel dimensions of the camera original

3) Sequence settings

If you don't know the answers to these we can help and you will never be able to successfully edit in FCP, because your sequence settings have to match tend media type you're editing, and that can't happen without knowing the info above.

On the other hand, are you aware that if you open a new sequence and edit a clip into it, FCP will pop up a dialogue box that asks if you want to change the sequence settings to match your media? Guess what, if you do that and answer yes, to change the setting to match, now that sequence will have the correct settings that are identical to your media.

FYI, you can delete that clip from the timeline if you'd like, the sequence settings will remain in place, and you can just edit away.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 19, 2016 at 5:45:27 pm

One could also first cross-convert using Apple Compressor or MPEG Streamclip, then work natively.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]