FORUMS: list search recent posts

Out of memory issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Denny Digital
Out of memory issue
on Sep 6, 2016 at 11:29:10 pm

Hello,

I am at my wit's end with FCP 7. I have DSLR footage from my t3i which I have converted to apple pro res 422. I have started work on my project which is a music video and the song is about one minute and forty seconds. All of a sudden after adding effects and cutting the clips I get the error "out of memory". I have tried to switch the hard drive space for the scratch disks to an external drive and that didn't work. I restarted my computer many times and FCP has crashed a view times. What should I do???

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Out of memory issue
on Sep 7, 2016 at 12:30:56 am

OUT OF MEMORY might be a few things, but it's referring to RAM, not hard drive space. How much RAM do you have?

Also...I get this with some plugins, they might simply be too much for my computer to do. MAINLY I get this when there are stills over 4000 pixels on any side. Do you have stills in this project?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Denzel Burks
on Sep 7, 2016 at 4:49:01 am

I have 4 gb of ram and I have no still images.

@DennyDigital

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 7, 2016 at 6:14:25 am

RAM might be the issue. That's how much FCP uses just for itself, but then the OS needs RAM too, and if you are running any other applications, they need RAM. You need a bare minimum of 8GB of RAM for FCP...especially if you use any plugins.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Denzel Burks
on Sep 7, 2016 at 3:26:27 pm

So I just need to buy more ram for my computer and that should correct the issue?

@DennyDigital

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 7, 2016 at 5:04:04 pm

It SHOULD do the trick.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 7, 2016 at 10:25:52 pm

Some plugin effects will also require sufficient graphics power. The (un)helpful Out of Memory message covers this as well. Try turning off some effects and see if this stops the problem. If it is then you may have to pre render some effects and create new clips if the effects stack is beyond your GPU.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Sep 8, 2016 at 12:50:27 am

I've seen people cut music videos by stacking every take one on top of the other
nothing wrong with that, it's good,
but then to "de-activate" a part they don't want, they'll blade it and drag the opacity down.

this acutely keeps the clip active, and i think is a drag on the system,
best way IMO would be to "un-enable" that selection with Control B.

just a thought

nick

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Sep 8, 2016 at 8:03:32 pm

We've seen that error caused by still images on the timeline or even a video clip that is some how damaged. Make a copy of the timeline and start deleting it in halves. If the error goes away it was something in the timeline you just deleted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]