FORUMS: list search recent posts

Installing FCP7 on fresh install of El Capitan?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mel Matsuoka
Installing FCP7 on fresh install of El Capitan?
on Aug 30, 2016 at 1:57:04 am

I just setup a new El Capitan based system (10.11.6) and am horrified to find that I can't seem to install FCS3 on it.

I disabled all available the install options except for FCP7 itself (I only need FCP7 for converting old projects to Premiere Pro), but the installation dialog always seems to hang when I click "Continue". Nothing I've tried--Cache cleaning, etc--seems to work to get the installer to continue.

For what it's worth, I'm installing from archived .dmg images of my original DVD install media.

Anyone here experience similar issues? Is there a workaround that doesn't involve maintaining a separate Yosemite partition just for FCP7?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Installing FCP7 on fresh install of El Capitan?
on Aug 31, 2016 at 12:40:09 am

This might address your situation:

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1219237

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Aug 31, 2016 at 1:09:56 am

I was last using FCP7 on Mountain Lion, OS 10.8.5, before I made the fatal switch to Premiere. It worked fine for me and colleagues under that OS. Sometimes it's necessary to keep a machine running under an earlier OS if you want to use an earlier software.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Aug 31, 2016 at 3:04:04 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Aug 31, 2016 at 3:07:17 pm

I can't remember where I ran across this, but apparently because Rosetta is not supported in Mavericks and later, those OSs will not allow installation of FCS3. If you had upgraded your OS on a drive that already had FCS3 installed on it, it would have been available. Whether or not it would work well, or at all, is another story. But since you did a clean install to a non-Rosetta supporting OS, that new OS is preventing installation.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Aug 31, 2016 at 5:12:57 pm

FCS3 installed on Yosemite. Brand new SSD drive and clean install of 10.10.5.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Mel Matsuoka
on Aug 31, 2016 at 6:30:42 pm

The issue is not with Yosemite. The issue is with El Capitan.

Return to posts index

Mel Matsuoka
on Aug 31, 2016 at 6:35:47 pm

[Jim Scott] "I can't remember where I ran across this, but apparently because Rosetta is not supported in Mavericks and later, those OSs will not allow installation of FCS3. If you had upgraded your OS on a drive that already had FCS3 installed on it, it would have been available. Whether or not it would work well, or at all, is another story. But since you did a clean install to a non-Rosetta supporting OS, that new OS is preventing installation.
"

I'm not sure what Rosetta has to do with any of this, since as far as I know, Final Cut Studio (3) is Intel only.

FCP7 installs and works just fine on Yosemite & Mavericks.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Aug 31, 2016 at 8:14:36 pm

As I said, I don't remember where I heard about the issue with Rosetta, FCS3, and newer OS installations. I was simply repeating it as a possible explanation for your problems. I am happy to be corrected on this.

Unfortunately, as many have repeated, FCS3 is essentially ancient software that was not designed to run on newer OSs, and as such will often be at least finicky, if not worse. I myself have a FCP7 installation on a disk that was upgraded to Yosemite, and one which will run, but is often unresponsive and unusable. As I also have Premiere Pro I have switched to using it as my main video editor because of my experiences with FCP. I wish I could still use FCP, but unfortunately that hasn't turned out to be an acceptable experience for me. You mileage may vary.

Return to posts index

Mel Matsuoka
on Aug 31, 2016 at 6:41:52 pm

[Robert Withers] "Sometimes it's necessary to keep a machine running under an earlier OS if you want to use an earlier software."

That's the harsh reality that I've come to assume at this point.

I'm gonna see how well FCP7 runs in a VMWare Fusion virtual machine running Yosemite. I really don't want to maintain a separate Yosemite partition just so that I can install & run FCP7, since I just need it to load old projects for exporting XMLs out of them.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll create a temporary Yosemite partition just to install FCS3, and then use Migration Assistant to bring the installation over to the El Cap partition.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]