FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upscaling DVD footage for projection

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Smith
Upscaling DVD footage for projection
on Aug 5, 2016 at 1:34:01 pm

Hi all,

I have a long sequence/video that consists of footage ripped from PAL DVDs (720x576 anamorphic 16:9 - 1024x576). I need this to be encoded into a DCP for projection in a cinema. The footage was ripped from DVD into ProRes 422, 720x576. What is the best way of ensuring the best image quality for a cinema in this case? I'm wondering about putting the file onto tape, then upscaling what's on tape via an Alechemist. Or, alternatively, upscaling the ProRes output file via an Alchemist or Teranex. But I'm also contemplating trying something crazy, like shooting a screen - playing the video - with something like a RED camera, and then blow up the RED footage into a DCP-compliant aspect.

Any ideas what the best solution could be?

Your help's greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Upscaling DVD footage for projection
on Aug 5, 2016 at 4:10:37 pm

Don't over-think the situation Paul... DVDs have been routinely used to screen movies in movie theaters for years, and the they look just fine. No matter how you slice it or dice it, a DVD is essentially what you're gonna be screening in your case, regardless of any steps you might take to try to improve the video you're ripping, and no extraordinary steps are going to polish it in any significant way, because it's already been compressed at approximately 25 to 1.

If you rip the DVD directiy to ProRes 422 you'll get video that's as good as you're gonna get.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Paul Smith
Re: Upscaling DVD footage for projection
on Aug 5, 2016 at 4:40:33 pm

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for your response. I've been told, however, that Digital Vision's plug-ins or, alternatively, an Alchemist can do great things in terms of up-resing SD material.....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]