FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Correction Suggestions - Older Format & Software

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Fraticelli
Color Correction Suggestions - Older Format & Software
on Aug 2, 2016 at 10:27:41 pm

Hi Gang

Would like to get a few suggestions for improved color correction.

I'm working strictly with Standard Def and FC6. I've had decent luck and experience using 'FC 3-Way Color' but little experience with 'FC Color.' Some of the footage shot on older Panasonic DVX cameras requires quite a bit of correction. I have a Mac Pro Desktop loaded with FC7 but for now I'm still using FC6 in a G5 because of missing wave forms within FC7.

In any event, FC6 is working just fine as most of the edits look great on my older Apple Cinema Monitors. But I'm not getting consistent color and contrast balance on various TV's. I would happily purchase a used Pro Color monitor and any other used equipment that might be necessary for improved color & contrast correction.

Any suggestions as to how to approach this?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Color Correction Suggestions - Older Format & Software
on Aug 4, 2016 at 7:10:28 pm

Well, your options will be limited due to the nature of the very VERY old editing software you are running. But yes, you cannot trust the FCP edit interface for color accuracy, it isn't accurate. Isn't designed to be accurate. Just there to show you what you are doing. What you will need is an IO card that works with a G5, and they don't make those anymore. PowerMac...the later ones...you'd have better luck, as they are PCIe...but G5...some are PCI, some are PCIe. What exact model are you running? We can look that up. If older, you might need to look on ebay or similar for older cards...good part to that is that they'll be cheaper...bad part, they might not work and the software drivers needed might not be available.

As for an external monitor...if you want rock solid broadcast color accuracy, then you will be looking at spending a minimum of $2500. Budget options are a good HDTV that you calibrate or have calibrated by a professional if you don't know how to calibrate. Calibration is needed, for if you don't, you don't know if what you are looking at is the real image. If you go to Best Buy and look at the wall of TVs, you see that they all look different, because they are all calibrated at the manufacturer different. Some make them cooler, some warmer...and they might even crank the saturation to make the picture look more vibrant.

Or you can rent a monitor. But the main thing is getting proper video capture card for proper output to that monitor.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Fraticelli
on Aug 4, 2016 at 10:29:00 pm
Last Edited By Michael Fraticelli on Aug 4, 2016 at 10:48:06 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm confident I can find a reasonably priced solution. Old doesn't neccessarily mean hopeless. I'm just asking for some help in the right direction and appreciate the explanation. I've known for some time about Kona. Perhaps you could comment about this card. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aja-KONA-LHe-Capture-Card-w-Breakout-Box-and-Breako...

If it looks like an appropriate card, and will work with my Mac Pro, all I'd need is a Pro color monitor. 'Rock Solid?' I don't make this a so-called business, so I don't have that kind of money. I'm sure I can also find something used on ebay. I suppose I'd need something designed to give me better accuracy than my current Apple Cinemas. I'm sure I can find something cheaper on Ebay. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again
Mike

Return to posts index

Michael Fraticelli
on Aug 4, 2016 at 10:50:47 pm
Last Edited By Michael Fraticelli on Aug 4, 2016 at 11:15:12 pm

OR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aja-KONA-LHe-Capture-Card-w-Breakout-Box-and-Breako...

AND

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-TRINITRON-PVM-14L2-VIDEO-MONITOR-/222209457775...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 5, 2016 at 12:27:36 am

That's a very good card, yes. So that and a good HDTV will suit your needs.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Fraticelli
on Aug 5, 2016 at 11:10:31 pm

Thank You

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]