FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using FCP7 to edit 4K

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john whiteway
Using FCP7 to edit 4K
on Jul 31, 2016 at 2:57:21 am

Guess I'm not alone in trying to figure out ways to edit 4k material. I'm still a fan of FCP 7 and would love to keep using it, so I was wondering if this would work.....

I could down res the 4K material to Pro Res 2k and edit away on FCP7. Would it be possible then to take the original 4K material and convert it to 4K ProRes files, putting them on a separate drive and giving the files the same names (and of course having the same time codes)? Then would it be possible for me to buy FCP10, load these 4K ProRes files to it and import the finished project file from FCP7 and “reconnect media”? Would I now have my project fully edited in 4k and ready for export?

Would be great if something like this could work? Perhaps the extension on the FCP7 project file might have to be changed – don't know as I don't yet know FCP10, but I know that in the past I've been able to import files from earlier versions of FCP to FCP7 when I changed the extension.

I could, of course, learn how to edit the whole 4K thing on FCP10, but everything I've seen about 10 makes me want to stay with 7.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

John

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Using FCP7 to edit 4K
on Jul 31, 2016 at 4:33:25 am

[john whiteway] "...everything I've seen about 10 makes me want to stay with 7"
Care to elaborate on what you've seen because I only use FCP X and you couldn't pay me enough to go back and work with a track based NLE. It's too restrictive now.

Using FCP X is the easiest way to work in 4K. At some point you need to resign yourself to the fact that FCP 7 support ended 5 years ago and it's just a matter of time before it stops working entirely on new Macs.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

john whiteway
on Jul 31, 2016 at 2:16:49 pm

You might be right. But FCP 7 v.s. 10 aside, do you think the scenario I described using FCP7 could work?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 31, 2016 at 7:04:44 pm

First off, Mr. Rofrano, there are many people who don't like FCX, and can't get how FCX works. It's great that you and many many others have, but there are still many more of us that don't get it, and don't like it. So it's good that we have alternatives.

Now, Mr. Whiteway...The only way to get from FCP 7 to FCX is via third party software by intelligentassistance.com, 7toX). FCP 7 projects are not convertable to FCX without this. And if you don't like it...why use it? Davinci Resolve is free, and will do what you want....import an XML and relink to the original media. Then you can grade and export from there. It will also do the conversion of the footage to a lower res proxy that you can use to edit. Down to 1080p ProRes LT if you want. Then edit, export an XML, reconnect in Resolve.

Or you can start using Premiere Pro... it has tracks, it is very close to how FCP 7 works, it is a current app that is gaining ground were FCP 7 used to be. Now editing 4K in that would require a VERY beefy computer, but the latest version does have a proxy workflow.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

john whiteway
on Jul 31, 2016 at 9:00:32 pm

Thank you very much for the helpful reply. I'd just like to make sure I've understood all you've said.

I think you are agreeing that the route from FCP7 to FCP10 I described in my original post would work. I could create two sets of ProRes files, one 2K to edit on FCP7 and the other 4K to connect to on FCP10 after I have changed the FCP7 project file via the Intelligent Assistance App to a project file readable on FCP10.

It seems you are also saying that I could do essentially the same through DaVinci Resolve, only in this case I'd export my FCP7 project file from FCP7 as an XML file (something I've never done before).

Are you referring to the DaVinci Resolve “Lite” version that is free, or the version you have to buy? And are you saying that DaVinci will immediately recreate my FCP7 project, but now in the original 4K?

Suppose I'd also ask, for someone not familiar with DaVinci do you think that that route would be harder and more complicated than the route of FCP7 via the Intelligent Assistance App to FCP10 that I've described above.

If you think it an easier and more logical route, and I can do that with the free Lite version of Resolve offered by DaVinci, maybe I should take a stab at learning how to do that.

As for Premiere Pro, I am aware of its greater similarity to FCP7, but it is expensive. With it's monthly cloud rental fee one is soon paying a heck of a lot of money for it. At least FCP10 sells for a one time reasonable price. That was really the reason I was considering this route

Thanks again. I learned a lot from what you wrote earlier and you help is much appreciated.

John

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jul 31, 2016 at 11:59:41 pm

the free version of resolve (it's not called "Lite" anymore, by the way) is limited to UHD frame sizes.
that's nearly 4k, but not quite.
if your 4k is actually UHD (double HD, or 3840 or 2160) then resolve will work

getting a project from any one platform to any other will always require checking and fixing of possible errors.

Resolve is probably more similar to FCP7 than FCPX.
mainly, it has tracks, and FCPX does not.

FCPX may have a steeper learning curve (if you're used to tradition NLEs),
however the people who clime that curve, say it's wonderful when you get there.

nick

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 1, 2016 at 1:58:14 pm

[Shane Ross] "First off, Mr. Rofrano, there are many people who don't like FCX, and can't get how FCX works. It's great that you and many many others have, but there are still many more of us that don't get it, and don't like it. So it's good that we have alternatives."
Shane, I was responding to this statement from John Whiteway:

"I could, of course, learn how to edit the whole 4K thing on FCP10, but everything I've seen about 10 makes me want to stay with 7."

This implies to me that perhaps John had not tried FCP X and was going by hearsay, probably from the same people, as you pointed out, that "can't get how FCX works." I was offering to help his understand of FCP X because it would save him a lot of angst by learning how to use it instead of avoiding it because of what "others have said".

I was not implying that all FCP 7 users should move to FCP X. I was responding to a very specific request for help from someone who did not say that they tried and didn't like FCP X, or that they couldn't get how FCP X works, but that they had "heard, blah, blah, blah" about FCP X and so they were avoiding it.

I just wanted to understand what the "blah, blah, blah" was about to see if I could clear up any misconceptions as an FCP X user who understands it.

~jr

Return to posts index

john whiteway
on Aug 1, 2016 at 2:32:36 pm

Hello Mr. Rofrano,

Actually what I said in my original post was: : "I could, of course, learn how to edit the whole 4K thing on FCP10, but everything I've seen about 10 makes me want to stay with 7."

When I say "everything I've seen" I meant exactly that. I did extensive research when FCP10 came out with all its changes and had extensive discussion about it with those who did buy it. Two of those people are professional editors and both rejected FCP10 then and still do.

So though I do truly appreciate your opinions on FCP10, I don't think it's fair to suggest I've made my decision based on "hearsay" or on opinions that could be described as "blah, blah, blah". I'm a more serious fellow than that.

All the best,

John

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 1, 2016 at 4:02:53 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Aug 1, 2016 at 6:31:28 pm

I get it. I was just trying to help you understand FCP X better to perhaps solve your 4K issue especially since you were considering buying it as part of your solution, but if you feel you already have a good understanding and don't want to discuss it, then so be it. I was just curious as to what it was you didn't like about FCP X (and still am).

~jr

Return to posts index

Sunderland Green
on Feb 9, 2017 at 7:57:03 am

Make sure that your Mac computer meet the minimum requirements to edit 4K video.

Return to posts index

Amy Trent
on May 29, 2017 at 3:16:48 am

I am about a year late on this one but jumping on this thread and I am so happy to see someone else still prefers FCP 7. I have both X and 7 and I despise X. FCP 7 for me, but I do need to edit 4K soooooo...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 29, 2017 at 11:09:23 pm

[Amy Trent] "FCP 7 for me, but I do need to edit 4K soooooo..."

Transcode to ProRes 4444...and get really REALLY fast connection hard drives. Thunderbolt...and RAIDed to boot...two drives or more. Or you can use the offline/online process, but only if FCP 7 can recognize the camera format in Log and Transfer...

Might also look at Adobe Premiere pro...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]