FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP is interlacing video when exported!?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Hall
FCP is interlacing video when exported!?
on Jul 30, 2016 at 2:05:18 am

I have a project in FCP 7 that's progressive. The sequence settings match the clip settings: 1920x1080, 29.97 fps, AIC codec, field dominance none.

When I export the video it looks interlaced. The parts that have motion look like two frames are blended together. At first I thought maybe MPEG Streamclip was doing this, since I usually export my video in its native format and then convert using MPEG Streamclip. But then I looked at the video exported straight out of FCP and it looks interlaced.

It doesn't look this way at all in FCP. The frames look smooth. I went through some of the action stills and there's no interlacing at all, but when I export and look at those stills, they are interlaced. How is this possible? And how can I fix it? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP is interlacing video when exported!?
on Jul 30, 2016 at 2:25:01 am

AIC codec is a horrible old lossy codec. Is this just your sequence setting or have you transcoded footage into this?

I am guessing that AIC is not a progressive capable codec. If it is just sequence settings, duplicate your timeline, change settings to ProRes422, setting interlacing to none and then try and export quicktime movie (not conversion).

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Jul 30, 2016 at 2:40:22 am

My footage has been transcoded to AIC. I'm editing a project using footage I shot years ago on an old Canon Vixia. This was when I knew nothing about formats or codecs. Back then the only way I knew how to get the files off that camera was to use iMovie, and it just automatically converted all the footage to AIC. So I'm stuck with these files.

As I was typing this reply, I decided to see what would happen if I just changed the compressor in the sequence settings from AIC to ProRes 422. I exported a sample and it seems to have cured it! I was afraid that I was going to have to re-transcode all this AIC footage to ProRes or apply the de-interlace filter on practically every clip. But just changing the sequence settings to ProRes 422 seems to have worked.

I'm glad it worked, but why did it work? Does changing the sequence setting to ProRes mean that it converted the AIC sequence to ProRes and somehow deinterlaced it?

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Jul 30, 2016 at 2:25:44 am

Out of curiosity I used the de-interlace filter on some of these clips and it fixed the problem. But why do I need to do this if my footage and sequence are progressive? Does it have something to do with the sequence settings saying HDTV 1080i? I thought that was some default setting used for any 1920x1080 footage since there's no 1080p option.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 30, 2016 at 10:22:37 pm

I suspect it is the AIC codec and sequence settings that is can't render a QT movie using current settings without interlace. Codecs like AIC and DV don't really support progressive modes. Changing the sequence to ProRes gives a better render and output as well as making a true p file.

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Jul 30, 2016 at 10:36:43 pm

Thanks for your help Michael!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]