FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7: Export ProRes HQ in ITU-R BT.709?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Stroud
FCP 7: Export ProRes HQ in ITU-R BT.709?
on Jul 29, 2016 at 8:17:35 pm

Hi everyone! After months of lingering on my hard drive, the movie I worked on last year is finally making its way to digital platforms near you!

In the specs for delivery, one of the requirements is that the ProRes file use the color space "ITU-R BT.709". I've scoured the web but found very little info on how this is accomplished.

Any help that you experts can provide would be insanely appreciated!

Don
-------------
FCP 7.0.3, Macbook Pro 17" mid-2010, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeoForce GT 330M 512 MB

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP 7: Export ProRes HQ in ITU-R BT.709?
on Jul 29, 2016 at 8:50:20 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._709

The high definition standard. - 1920x1080.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 29, 2016 at 9:23:25 pm

In theory, yes Don... However, I'm not 100% certain if FCP Legacy codecs are 100% compliant, simply cuz they're old. I understand that Premiere has a Rec 709 filter if that's any help. I'll look into Premiere to see exactly what that filter does a bit later if you'd like?

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Don Stroud
on Jul 29, 2016 at 9:27:58 pm

David, if you get around to it, that's great, but for me it'll only be useful as information. I won't have any way to get this project from FCP 7 to Premiere. I'm locked into my Apple sandbox, so I was hoping I could find the definitive answer, or a solution that I can implement.

Thanks again for your help.

Don
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
FCP 7.0.3, Macbook Pro 17" mid-2010, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeoForce GT 330M 512 MB

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 29, 2016 at 9:38:24 pm

If it helps, I've had many a show broadcast on television that was mastered with ProRes 422 right out of FCP 7 with zero rejections.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 29, 2016 at 10:28:27 pm

I too have had that spec, and exported directly from FCP 7, and it passed. The codec hasn't changed from when it was made for FCP 7. it's compliant.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Don Stroud
on Jul 29, 2016 at 10:29:34 pm

David and Shane, that's good to hear. I'm going to do what I can, but I'm emboldened by your previous successes.

Thanks for your help. Enjoy your weekend!

Don
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 29, 2016 at 10:45:58 pm

FYI, the Rec 709 element from Premiere I earlier mentioned is actually a LUT, and it's designed to ensure that the color space of 4K footage is properly converted to Rec 709 when when down-rezed to HD. So, has little to nothing to do with your question Don.

So, forge ahead and know from this point forward that, if your video was acquired in-camera as HD, and edited in a ProRes 422 1920x1080 sequence, you should not really have to think too much about its being Rec 709 compliant.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]