FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick and easy way to un-nest a feature film I inherited?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nina Lucia
Quick and easy way to un-nest a feature film I inherited?
on Jul 24, 2016 at 11:26:47 pm

I inherited a project that has a 90 min. film built with nested scenes. Is there an easier way to un-nest these than rebuilding it by copying and pasting the indiviual scenes?

A particular problem I see with my situation is that there are the nested scenes that are strung together that use the top audio tracks, and then a bunch of SFX and MX has been added below that are not nested in. So do I have to copy and paste the un-nested scenes and then copy and paste all the extra SFX and MX too?

And how would someone have cut like this? If they edit the nest by double clicking on it, what happens to the extra SFX and MX that aren't in the nest? Do they get cut somehow (or is space inserted) if the length changes?

Would love to hear a quick and easy solution as it seems it's going to take a while to do it by copy/paste. Someone please post one while I'm picking up stress eating snacks at Trader Joe's! :D

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Quick and easy way to un-nest a feature film I inherited?
on Jul 25, 2016 at 12:17:38 am

[Nina Lucia] "Is there an easier way to un-nest these than rebuilding it by copying and pasting the indiviual scenes?"

Nope. That's the only way to do it. Nesting is evil.

[Nina Lucia] "So do I have to copy and paste the un-nested scenes and then copy and paste all the extra SFX and MX too?"

Well, if those are already there, just move them lower so that you can copy/paste above them.

[Nina Lucia] "And how would someone have cut like this?"

Too many people thought it was a good thing to do. Edit a scene and then put the scene on the main project as a nest, and if they go to edit that scene, the nest would just update. Great in theory, but not always how it worked in practice. And practice shows that nesting causes all sorts of issues. But it was a bad habit a few people got into

[Nina Lucia] "If they edit the nest by double clicking on it, what happens to the extra SFX and MX that aren't in the nest? Do they get cut somehow (or is space inserted) if the length changes?"

Yeah...I don't know. I would think that it would mess that up. I've never nested once I found it really lacking, and seeing what issues it caused.

Sorry, there is no easy solution to this. Gotta copy paste and manually rebuild. I've done this too many times while onlining other people's work. Once they saw the cost involved in me fixing this, they never did it again.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jul 25, 2016 at 12:39:54 am

I feared as much. Thanks for the quick reply! My chocolate chip banana muffins will help me get through this...

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jul 25, 2016 at 4:23:41 am
Last Edited By Nick Meyers on Jul 25, 2016 at 5:40:09 am

there is a way to do it without copy/ pasting, but it's not necessarily easier.
it can be, but it depends on the situation.

do the nests in the timeline have handles?
is what's in the timeline the entirety of the nest? of has the nest been put in the timeline and subsequently trimmed?

NO HANDLES?

if you 're sure there are no handles on the nests, you can do this:
go thru and add a number to their names, 01-99
copy them all to a new bin in the browser.

--- EDIT ---
no don't copy them, you have to DRAG them

make sure they are sorted in order.
select them all EXCEPT the top one
hold Command, select the top one (they should now all be selected)
drag to the canvas, and drop in the Overwrite window
BAM!
you've goot all the content back in one go

IF THERE ARE HANDLES

reduce the nests to what is in the timeline:
double click the nest into the viewer
Make A subclip
you get a "sub-nest" in the browser that is trimmed to the used duration.
while the subclip is made you can enter a name, so now is the time to ad your incremental number

then do the drag and drop thing mentioned above.

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jul 25, 2016 at 5:21:39 pm

Thanks for the tips!

I did the copy/paste thing, measuring each scene to be (somewhat) sure what I was cutting in was the same as the edit (I made a copy of the edit to work on so I can check it against the original). I did find 3-4 nests that were not the same length, so I'm going to try your tip to get the "sub-nest" to match what's in the cut. I can still copy/paste that, right? I have the rest of the edit already done but for those stragglers.

I thought the whole point of nests is that they change to match what you've done in your edit? Why/how would they be different?

Also, how do you rename the nests? Do you have to know where they are in the browser and do it there or can you do it in the timeline? I guess you have to know where they are in the browser anyway to drag them to the timeline. Supposing you can't find them, is there a way to get them to a bin from the edit? I noticed that after I double click them in the timeline and replace them in the edit they disappear from my timeline and only the built edit is there. That seemed a little odd since it's supposed to be a separate entity to begin with.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jul 27, 2016 at 12:05:02 pm

"I thought the whole point of nests is that they change to match what you've done in your edit? Why/how would they be different?"

what's happened in hosts cases is that the nest has been cut into the timeline
then the nest has been trimmed,
so the content of the nest hasn't been changed, but what part of it that's in the timeline has.

if you;be only got a few, then just do the copy paste method, i think

park on the 1st frame of the nest.
hit x to mark around it,
copy the duration from the Canvas

double click to open the nest
mark an in point
paste the duration back in the canvas
you should now have the in and out points marked

option a to select in-out
copy,
then paste back in your timeline.

shame you didn't get to try the drag from the browser method.
musch faster!

nick

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Jul 25, 2016 at 5:02:40 pm

[Shane] "Nesting is evil."

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I have always said this and have even taught it in my NLE classes. Nesting should not be a workflow. It should be used sparingly in special circumstances. Too many things can go wrong down the line.

Joe

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors http://www.cafepress.com/suitelife

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuiteLife/1524456414462851?ref=hl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]