FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can FCP7 edit ProRes422HQ 48FPS?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edwin Street
Can FCP7 edit ProRes422HQ 48FPS?
on Jul 19, 2016 at 8:04:58 am

Whenever I set my codec to a custom frame rate of 48 it comes up with this error message:

The only options are 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60. I want to shoot and edit in 48FPS in FCP7 if its possible? Does anyone know a hack that I can modify it in Terminal or something like that etc.

There is an alternative and that's to shoot and edit in 50FPS which I know is possible but then how do I convert a Quicktime file from 50FPS to 48FPS? Can anybody recommend me professional software that does this or does this happen at the stage when preparing the DCI package?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Can FCP7 edit ProRes422HQ 48FPS?
on Jul 19, 2016 at 8:48:39 am

FCP 7 is seven years old. Discontinued five years ago, before 48fps was an option. It was designed to edit the frame rates you mention. BUT...if you have ProRes HQ 48fps and drop that into the timeline, it should conform it to match. FCP does that. But i'm not sure I'd use old software to tackle newer formats and workflows.

[Edwin Street] " Can anybody recommend me professional software that does this or does this happen at the stage when preparing the DCI package?"

Premiere Pro will do this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Edwin Street
on Jul 19, 2016 at 9:16:43 am

I've already tried to see if it'll conform a 48FPS clip but it doesn't unfortunately.

[Shane Ross] "Premiere Pro will do this."

I'm just doing tests at the moment but how do I do this in Premiere Pro, without just simply dropping 2 frames every second, because MPEG Streamclip or Compressor could do that.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 19, 2016 at 5:05:28 pm

[Edwin Street] "I've already tried to see if it'll conform a 48FPS clip but it doesn't unfortunately."

Conform a 48FPS clip? No...you don't do that. You want a sequence that matches that 48fps clip, do you not? You want to shoot and edit 48fps...right? Or are you wanting to slow that down to 23.98 slow motion?

[Edwin Street] "how do I do this in Premiere Pro, without just simply dropping 2 frames every second, "

Two frames every second...to 46fps? Now you've really lost me. What are you wanting to do, exactly? Adobe Premeire, and even the latest Avid, will allow you to cut 48fps and output 48fps.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Edwin Street
on Jul 19, 2016 at 5:20:57 pm

[Shane Ross] "Conform a 48FPS clip? No...you don't do that. You want a sequence that matches that 48fps clip, do you not? You want to shoot and edit 48fps...right? Or are you wanting to slow that down to 23.98 slow motion?"

Yes I want a sequence setting that matches 48fps but FCP7 can't seem to do that. I've tried dropping a 48fps clip into a new timeline and it doesn't work. (I'm not slowing down anything, I want to shoot and edit 48FPS)

[Shane Ross] "Two frames every second...to 46fps? Now you've really lost me. What are you wanting to do, exactly? Adobe Premeire, and even the latest Avid, will allow you to cut 48fps and output 48fps."

In the case that FCP7 can't edit 48FPS then I will shoot and edit 50FPS and convert the final Quicktime file from 50FPS to 48FPS for DCI distribution because they only accept 24 or 48fps. So I need software that will convert 50fps to 48fps without simply dropping two frames every second or changing the pitch of the audio. Like the method they use to convert NTSC to PAL.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]