FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two takes alternating quickly in final cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
relo vincenzo
Two takes alternating quickly in final cut
on Apr 14, 2011 at 4:14:42 pm

Hey guys, I'm a newbie to final Cut, and I was just wondering if there was any way to produce the same effect as this video from 1:09 to around 1:37

From what I can tell it is two different takes being alternated very quickly. I was wondering if I just had to cut up two takes into very short clips and have them switch back in forth, or if there was a built in way to do this in final cut.

Thank you very much in advance for any answers.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Two takes alternating quickly in final cut
on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:16:28 pm

There's probably a more elegant way to do this, with a behavior, in Apple Motion. But if you're staying in FCP, The brute-force way to go is to stack as many of the tracks as you like, synched up, then razor thru the entire stack as many times as you need to, go back and use the mouse to select and control-x to cut the segments you want out in each layer, revealing the layer below. The right and left arrow keys will advance you to the next cut point, so this can go quicker than it sounds, but it is a crude brute-force method. For a short segment, that's what I'd do if the segment was very short.

If you want to do this over the entire three-four minutes, like the old Wang Chung video: "Everybody Have Fun Tonight", I would look at using the FCP feature called multicam, which imitates a live TV switcher. Line up the tracks, get them playing, and just tap the one key on the fly as fast and often as you want to cut between sources, as if you are drumming. You can go back to the timeline after this and tweak all the cuts to taste and repair errors. it is non-destructive. Then render out a refernce movie of this so it behaves all like one clip.

The last time I did this kind of effect, I was still editing linear tape to tape thru a switcher, and I just tapped the take button like it was a telegraph key, done in one realtime pass:-)

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 14, 2011 at 7:28:33 pm

Ya, start cuttin. Slice a clip every frame or 3.
Take a second clip and slice it up the same.
And then alternate the shots in the track.

Nest that. Drop nest in new sequence and crop it over another track.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Greg Baldi
on Apr 14, 2011 at 7:34:49 pm

Looks like they have 3 layers, your background layer, then your letter blocked layers which alternate back and fourth, I suggest you take the two tracks you want to switch from and put one on top of the other and use your blade tool on the top layer and cut out every couple fames and delete them leaving spaces in between that way when you play back it will have that effect.

Your going to have to do it manually with the blade tool

-Greg Baldi
Post Production Editor

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 14, 2011 at 8:02:18 pm

Is there an echo in here?

Return to posts index

Chris Wiggles
on Apr 15, 2011 at 6:16:51 pm

You guys are missing the Blink Filter which does this auromatically for you. If you just stack one clip on top of the other, then set the blink as fast as you want, it will reveal the underlying clip, rather than black, and you'll get the effect in the YouTube video the OP linked to without having to spend all the time manually cutting frame-by-frame which is silly.

Here is a detailed guide:
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-use-blink-filter-flash-cut-final-cut-pro-...

Regards,
Chris

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 15, 2011 at 6:30:42 pm

Brilliant, I assumed there was something like this in there somewhere, but I wasn't sure if it allowed seeing thru to the next layer, or if it just created black frames in between.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]