FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dv aspect ratio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Hawco
Dv aspect ratio
on Dec 9, 2010 at 1:42:59 pm

Hello

Im editing SD Dvx footage that has a pixel aspect ratio of 720x480, which is 3:2. I'm going to export my project to DVD which must be 4:3. What are the proper project settings in FCP for editing dv footage that you want to export to DVD? When I use 4:3 as the project aspect ratio I'm losing the sides of my clips.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Dv aspect ratio
on Dec 9, 2010 at 2:14:45 pm

[Jared Hawco] "Im editing SD Dvx footage that has a pixel aspect ratio of 720x480, which is 3:2"
That's means a 4x3 aspect picture, because your picture is made of NTSC pixels.

"3:2" is nothing related with "4x3" .
"3:2" is how is the denomination of NTSC 720x480 ( 3/2 = 720/480).
NTSC 720x486 is not "3:2".
4x3 is about the canvas/picture rectangle proportions.
You can build a 4x3 picture using different kind of pixels: NTSC, PAL, Squared.
Just need to adjust the number of pixels (High x Wide).
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Dec 9, 2010 at 2:18:35 pm

Erm, DV footage in Standard Def NTSC is 720 x 480 pixels and the pixel aspect ratio should be NTSC-CCIR601 (and not checked as anamorphic). That's because (for complicated historical technical reasons) SD video uses non-square pixels. As long as those settings are right on both source clips and sequence the computer will display the pictures properly, i.e., 4:3.

Return to posts index

Jared Hawco
on Dec 9, 2010 at 2:39:38 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Those are the settings that I have selected for my sequence and the FCP canvas displays the whole clip properly. When I export to DVD will the image appear the same as it does on my canvas?

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Dec 9, 2010 at 2:44:02 pm

Yes it should do. My preferred way to do a DVD is to export a quicktime from FCP in it's Current Settings and then make the file(s) to burn onto a DVD with Compressor, which has presets for doing that.

Return to posts index

Jared Hawco
on Dec 9, 2010 at 2:46:50 pm

Great thanks for the tips. Are there any benefits to using your DVD method compared to exporting directly from FCP with compressor?

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Dec 9, 2010 at 2:53:19 pm

The main benefits are that Compressor has lots of presets so you don't have to get hung up on loads of technical details (unless you want to, in which case you can get at everything) and that I find it more efficient to have it processing in the background while I get on with something else.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]